Trip Report May 17-31, Fiesta Am/Coz Palace, Scuba w/Alison/AquaSafari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thought this TSA chart was pretty interesting - shows comparison of daily flights for 2021, 2020, and 2019. Still short of 2019 numbers.

TSA checkpoint travel numbers (current year(s) versus prior year/same weekday) | Transportation Security Administration
One thing I know for sure...

Every time we go to Cozumel we fly out of Austin at about 6:30AM to catch a connecting flight in Houston. This time on Saturday May 8 was no exception, but every previous time the airport had been mostly empty when we got there around 5AM. Not this time. The departure dropoff point must have had 200 cars jockeying for position and the ticket counters and TSA lines were insane. We were there in what would have been plenty of time on previous trips, but this time we nearly missed our boarding call.

I'm sorry, loady? Stranded? Just dumped hundreds of passengers and left them to their own devices?

Do you know why or at least, what was American's excuse?
The pilot was a no show on the Miami to San Diego flight. Don’t know about the other flights.

how much was presidential suite? Palace whole angle is coercing folks to join membership scheme for questionable benefits. One American had spent Usd $60,000 for more points then he could use in a lifetime.
I wrote a "Part 2" and thought I posted it ... but don't see it here ... so I'll try again. If I see the other one pop up I'll delete one of the two posts.

Part 2: Cozumel Palace

This stay we were in room 314. Not a great view, but otherwise exactly like every other room (except the suites). We've stayed in a variety of rooms - most with great views - this one provided a partial view of the horizon (disappointing). Comfy beds, jacuzzi that doubles as a final rinse tank before you leave! We had a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to stay in the Presidential Suite, and it's pretty big. It has two separate bedrooms with bathrooms as well as a large living area between with a dining table, small stove, sink and fridge. The best part is that the huge terrace is on the top floor and we were served dinner there one night (I'll post a picture of the setting - but keep in mind, it's the Presidential Suite, not the norm).

Covid procedures - when you arrive you walk into a tray of disinfectant and then dry your feet, get your temperature taken and hands sanitized. You are required to wear a mask at all times while indoors and when going through the buffet lines at the indoor and outdoor restaurants. Please keep in mind that while most guests may have been vaccinated, most locals have not. Many of the employees fear taking the virus home to their families and choosing not to wear your mask may be perceived as disrespectful to the risks they are taking to provide for their families. This probably isn't a time to take a political stand. Currently Q Roo is in the orange zone and technically at 50% occupancy, but the hotel was at 80% for Memorial Day (too many people for us, after having experienced the lighter numbers during covid, but good for the staff to start making better tips).

AquaSafari dive boats: gotta wear your mask until you're under way. They take your temp when you check in to see what boat you're on. They have hand sanitizer on the boat. They no longer provide anything but water on the boats (used to have towels and snacks - stopped that for covid). The boats are big and slow, but right now are running at about 75% capacity due to covid. The boats have marine heads - a plus for me, as I have an unpredictable stomach and have difficulty peeing in the water. It takes 1.5 HOURS to get to Columbia - so that marine head comes in handy. We don't mind the long ride. It gives us time to get our gear dialed in, get to know other divers and maybe exchange contact into. I've seen people take naps! Bring snacks if you think you might get hungry. It's about a 20 minute ride back from Paradise, so that's a good second dive.

The boat crew are attentive and nice people. They will happily change over your gear if you want them to - they know I prefer to do mine so they stay out of my way but always double check my air. They assume everyone wants their masks cleaned (they use a toothbrush and soap and do a great job) but again, I do my own. The guides will show you small stuff if you indicate an interest. Otherwise they try to find things that are familiar and do a great job. I always take out my weight pouches and hand them up before getting on the boat, but if you want to take off your whole rig that's ok too. They're happy to accommodate whatever your needs may be. They have good, sturdy ladders.

Cozumel is rotating closing dive sites to help regenerate them. If you ask to go to a specific site and they say it's closed, that's why. While we were there the sites from Dalila to Palancar Caves(?) was closed.

The other post was longer, so I'm sure I'm forgetting something!

how much was presidential suite? Palace whole angle is coercing folks to join membership scheme for questionable benefits. One American had spent Usd $60,000 for more points then he could use in a lifetime.

I have no idea how much the Presidential Suite is. We paid our friends whatever we normally paid for a week (don't remember what it was at that time - maybe $2300?). They were able to use their points and ownership to get the room. I think they were able to get it as part of their perks for ownership? They use their membership for all the resorts quite often. Palace is opening in Jamaica and Dominican Republic to - so they have options that they really value. We would only use the Cozumel property, so it would never be a good deal for us.

Can anyone who has bought into that membership points scheme mention how much it works out to per week and if it’s cheaper then just buying by the day? Do you have to pay 16% tax on every use

Can anyone who has bought into that membership points scheme mention how much it works out to per week and if it’s healer then just buying by the day? Do you have to pay 16% tax on every use of tax?

It’s much healer and they do charge taxes on taxes. It’s iterative. :rolleyes:

membership points scheme

If I considered anything a scheme and especially if I was being pressured, I wouldn't be looking to join. There are too many other places in Coz to stay. If it works like a timeshare, I would learn everything you can about how it works, how to maximize the benefits, and not just rely on what they tell you.

If I considered anything a scheme and especially if I was being pressured, I wouldn't be looking to join. There are too many other places in Coz to stay. If it works like a timeshare, I would learn everything you can about how it works, how to maximize the benefits, and not just rely on what they tell you.
Although I have never myself stayed at Cozumel Palace, I have a couple of friends who do and they rave about it.

It’s much healer and they do charge taxes on taxes. It’s iterative. :rolleyes:
Now you’re just being an asymptote and reaching my limits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom