May 05 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji:
thanks paul; I've seen snail eggs that look similar to those (but smaller), so it could be that (probably wavy turban snail eggs), but that would be a complete guess on my part. Let me know if you find out for sure!

Scott

Kellets (not Lawrence) Welk eggs. :wink:

kellets_whelk_1.jpg

Kellet's Whelk

Dive Report: 5/20/05 Diver's Cove, Laguna Beach

Surf's Up! 2-4' (6' footers at Cresent!!!)

Swell: Moderate to Big

Surge: Flyin'

Viz: 0-8' at best (being VERY generous)

temp at depth: 54 degrees Suunto BURRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Dive time: 41' for 65 minutes

Buddy: Kevin Lee

Met up with Kevin around 4:30pm. Geared up and faced off the waves for an easy entry. Noticed two white containers floating at the surface some distance offshore. Kicked out through heavy swells and current. Dropped down into no man's land. 41' feet and little to no viz. Crawled around a few rocks here and there. Kevin attempted to take some pics. Of what, I'm not sure. I could hardly see in front of my face, much less look for marine life. We then took a west heading and headed towards the outer reef at Diver's.

Traveling over the sand, the viz varied. Some spots good, others poor. Saw all kinds of globe crabs, elbow crabs, sea pens, sea potato, and sand dollars. Kevin attempted to shoot some of the critters, but surge and low vis was a deterrant. We will have to wait and see what he posts. We finally made it to the outer reef. We were greeted by a large wall with lots of crevices. Girabaldi's protecting their nests; Kellets Welk laying eggs; black eyed gobys flittin about along with the usual suspects. As we dove east, saw more of this extensive reef structure. Pretty cool, even in low viz. At one point, we were nearing out turn around time. I decided to surface to see where we were, not being familiar with the reef. Kevin stayed below as I took a gander. Wow...I think we were about two hundred yards off shore. I dropped down and met up with Kevin. Gave him the turn around sign and signaled that we were pretty far from shore. Made our way back to the sandy area. Startled a thornback ray; saw more globe crabs, elbow crabs, and sea fans playing in the surge. As we got shallow, the sandy bottom really sloped. I found this was odd. Kevin decided to surface to see where we were. Turns out that the current was taking us into Heisler Park!!! Since I was only in 10' of water at this point and it being pretty surgy, I decided to surface as well. We both kicked back to Diver's, timed the waves, and exited without incident.

We were planning on doing a second dive, but due to low viz, and cold waters, decided to call it. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Thanks Kevin for a great dive!!!

Jan

On the Lois Ann with Kerry at the helm and Randy DMing. Early boat 640-1pm

Headed for the Yukon first. Using double 80s w/ 40 cuft O2 bottle. No real deco persay because of nitrox. As far as the conditions, I felt like a flag in the wind with big time surge. SD has no real protection from any swell so this dive was bit of a workout. Shooting video with Mako/PC120 camera for the 2nd time ever. Got some ok footage here but Ruby E later was much better. Viz 15 max on the Yukon, Ruby E got upwards of 25. Still green nonetheless. Water temp actually a tad warmer than I've had here in the past, 53 degrees. Thank god for my drysuit, also trying out new undies from Dive Rite. Jury still out on those, so far so good but going to Marineland and Anacapa this week so will have a better idea after that. Back to the Ruby E, surge not as bad here so I definitely got better footage here. Started out at the plaque and worked our way all over the place. FYI, stern buoy here and one on Yukon are missing so divers beware. Both dives I did were about 45-50 min with my max depth for both about 80ft. Sat out middle dive to off gas, and relax. Next time I come I think I will use a single instead just so I can shoot a bit easier plus penetration is easier too. Now if only LA had a wreck alley, that would be the bomb! All in good time my friends. This is going to happen, my group is gaining support as quickly. Stay tuned!

scottfiji:
Thanks for the report! But could you please use the proper format for dive reports? It makes it much easier to read!

Scott
Date: 5/21
Dive Location:Reef Point - Crystal Cove
Time:9:00 am
Bottom Time:40 minutes
Max Depth:45ft
Vis:15-20+
Wave height:4ft
Temp at depth:54
Surface Temp:60
Tide information:in between high and low
Gas mix: Air (21%)
Comments:

Yesterday Aaron (ABROWN) and I ventured out for someplace new, to get away from the same old thing in laguna. Well we did find someplace new, and man was it awesome! We went to the reefpoint entrance of the crystal cove state park, (between corona del mar and laguna) then parked behind the bathrooms on the left side. Decended the steps to the ocean and headed directly out from there (rocks most other areas). After kicking out a ways, we headed north-west to the large reef formation (its the one you see when youre on PCH leaving laguna on the way to corona del mar). The kick, was longer than deadmans, and we also fought against the current a bit.
It was worth it! When we dropped down, surge was high and vis was 5-8ft. After about a minute or so of navigating we hit the reef wall, and vis opened up to 20ft+. Everything was purple, beautiful lush plant life, lots of sheephead, bass, big scallops that you cant take,hundreds of cuccumbers and lots of small schools of varied fish. (sorry dont know all the names yet). Surge was crazy on our way back in, so we surfaced and had a nice surface swim back (with the current).
Great dive, and wow what a change from laguna.

SNOBORDJON:
Date: 5/21
Dive Location:Reef Point - Crystal Cove
Well we did find someplace new, and man was it awesome! We went to the reefpoint entrance of the crystal cove state park, (between corona del mar and laguna) then parked behind the bathrooms on the left side. blah, blah, blah...Great dive, and wow what a change from laguna.

That is soooo my favorite spot. Should've seen it before all the silt from the PCH buildouts!

L

Date: 5/22/05
Dive Location: North Wall, La Jolla
Time: 08:17am
Bottom Time: 25 mins
Max Depth: 81ft
Vis: 5-10ft
Wave height: 2-4ft
Temp at depth: 55F
Comments: We found the North Wall despite the visibility. Spotted a couple of bat rays quick timing it away and they probably accounted for some of the poor vies. Cut dive short when buddy had mask problems. Then had to contend with alongshore currents taking us way into the surfers. Highlight of the dive was a pod of six to eight dolphins splitting either side of us as we initially swam out to the drop point. The closest was probably only twenty feet away, and all the surfers turned and watched them head northerly along the beach. On the return swim, an adult and calf came right towards me, dipped below the surface and surfaced behind me and in front of my buddy. What a thrill!

Date: 5/22/05
Dive Location: Main Wall, La Jolla
Time: 10:32am
Bottom Time: 36 mins
Max Depth: 71ft
Vis: 2-10ft
Wave height: 3-5ft
Temp at depth: 55F
Comments: Visibility on the whole was even worse on this dive. At one point it was down to just our gauges. Got below the wall and it took more than a while to find it. Spotted little of interest but judging by the swirls of sand the rays were around again. Waves were well up on the way in and we rode a big one right onto the beach.

Grey_Wulff

Back
Top Bottom