Maximum END

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is my whole point. I think that what constitutes a sensible mix at 100 feet very much depends on the conditions.

I didn't really address this.
At 100 feet, you have two realistic GUE-blessed choices (or three if you are a stroke like me) -- yes, you could dive 21/35 or 18/45 but you probably wouldn't choose those deliberately.
- 32%
- 30/30

So if you think 32% is fine (warm water, no chance of a current etc.) then dive 32% very nice.

If conditions suck, or you are doing a really long dive, or are planning mandatory deco -- choose 30/30

What's so hard about that?

It sure beats 4 guys coming with 4 different mixes and 4 different brands of computer.

You also get used to diving certain gases, how they affect your bottom times, ascent times, deco times.

What is your better suggestion since you cannot write a rule that governs people's judgement?

The limit of a bottom working PPO2 of 1.2 is to save you some time on your CNS clock, as well as your OTU's, which are going to take a hit during the deco phase of the dive. It all goes hand in hand with standard bottom and deco mixes, to make calculations and dive planning, including deco, extremely simple.

Have you taken GUE classes? You might find that in reality, the "rules" are more like guidelines to some extent, and there is indeed some flexibility.

No I have not taken any GUE classes. My training budget has been emptied with strokey classes such as TDI Trimix and NACD Full Cave. :D
The funny thing is we are actually pretty much in agreement here. GUE has a "rule/guideline" not to exceed an END of 100 feet. As a (hopefully) thinking diver I consider that to be excessive in tropical conditions.

What don't you understand about "standard mixes"? Having ONE gas for dives to 100' really does simplify a lot of planning. If you don't like it, don't dive it. Sounds like it isn't for you. That's ok. If you want to go to 130' on 27%, that's cool. It just isn't what GUE teaches. That's ok, too.

Sometimes I do want to go to 130 on 27%. Or even air. So I guess that GUE is not for me. And thats O.K.

Thanks for the conversation guys. (Seriously)

No I have not taken any GUE classes. My training budget has been emptied with strokey classes such as TDI Trimix and NACD Full Cave. :D
The funny thing is we are actually pretty much in agreement here. GUE has a "rule/guideline" not to exceed an END of 100 feet. As a (hopefully) thinking diver I consider that to be excessive in tropical conditions.

Sometimes I do want to go to 130 on 27%. Or even air. So I guess that GUE is not for me. And thats O.K.

Thanks for the conversation guys. (Seriously)

Yes, I guess we are somewhat in agreement. I wouldn't do the 27% example though, and I'd definitely hope other GUE trained divers wouldn't, or what would be the point of the GUE standards?

I find that there are huge advantages to having workable standards.

I'll usually do our relatively easy dives off a private boat here in Monterey on 32%, but on any dives a bit more complicated, like a scooter dive or something else that's going to be more task loading it's really nice to be on Tx 30/30 for those 100' dives. My head is much more clear and I really enjoy the dive more.

I had one of my best dives ever on a scooter with a max depth of 150' last week. We were on Tx 21/35 and I have no doubt that the mix contributed significantly to feeling great and enjoying the dive scootering, doing deco and holding a video camera shooting!

Here's the video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSj7Zu-eWBs

The other huge advantage of the training is that it's much easier to get with other DIR trained divers and do dives with. The more complex the dive, the more it's an advantage and a lot more fun.

When I dive with my non-dir buddies or non-dir divers when traveling, it's a LOT more work to plan and execute more complex dives. Many non-dir tech divers I know have the opinion that they'd rather dive solo because buddies tend to be more of a liability than an asset. When there are no or loose standards and of course everyone has their "right" opinion. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but try to coordinate diving with buddies with that and it's a lot of work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom