Maximum END

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianr33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As I understand it DIR suggests/mandates that no diver should ever go below 100 feet without some helium in their tanks.

By that reasoning I could dive 32% nitrox a mile back into some complex silty cave and be following the *rules* provided my max depth is 100 feet.

But if I go to 101 feet in Cozumel on 32% then I have sinned.

This makes no sense to me.

Comments?

Back to the original question, does it make more sense to have a clearer head when trying to navigate complex routes? Does it give you an unreasonable deco penalty to add He? Would you have to add complexity to the dive to accomodate the deco obligation from He? Did I leave the oven on?

Seriously, do you think anyone (I mean ANYONE) at GUE gives a **** if you go to 101' without any HE? Anyone? The class teaches you how to think, not avoid "sins".

Yeah,actually I think they do care. (not about me as an individual but about divers in general)

From GUE.Com:

<<1.4 General Training Limits

The following limits apply to ALL levels of training (course specific limits can be found in the relevant sections).

1.4.2 END Limits

No dives are to exceed an Equivalent Narcotic Depth (END) of 100 feet (+/-30 feet)/30 meters (+/- 9 meters); END is established by the following equation = ((1-FHe)*ATAs)-1) * 33 (10m))) >>

Several years ago (when I was deco but not trimix trained) I asked Ocean Frontiers on Cayman (GUE Facility) about the possibility of doing some "tech" dives. The reply was that we could do extended dives but I could not go below 100 feet as I was not trimix trained.

The message seemed pretty clear,even without the course. :wink:

"training limits"

they set a bar. the class is about why they set the bar there. if you *really* care to know why, you'd take the class (do you seriously expect to learn e/t on the internet?). if all you want is a hand wavy answer, see post 5. it's a very conservative organization.

Wouldn't this suggest that 101' is within acceptable limits?

No dives are to exceed an Equivalent Narcotic Depth (END) of 100 feet (+/-30 feet)

As for OF, they made a choice about what they consider safe. If you go off on your own to 101', I'm sure they don't care. It's just not what they choose to do. They must believe that they are safer divers with HE past 100'. What's hard about that to understand? This isn't an issue about "sins".

I don't believe a dive to an END of 130 in good conditions is what is meant by this. I would think of it as more of a contingency max that you shouldn't try to push.

Most excellent catch. I should learn to read :D

A max END of 130 in good conditions on a straightforward dive seems reasonable to me.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom