Maximum depth for recreational divers

How deep for rec?

• 60'

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • 100'

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • 130'

Votes: 112 50.7%
  • Its a silly idea dreamed up by someone in an office .

Votes: 38 17.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I honestly don't even see why any depth past 100 feet is on the PADI Air RDP. If you can stay down for 10 minutes or less, when you take into account it should take 3 minutes to ascend at 30 ft/min and probably same to descend, you're looking at such a small amount of dive time that it's not even worth it. Even with Enriched Air, you're not looking at that much more time at depths of say 120 or 130 feet. Of course if 100 feet was the rec limit, then people would just go over it anyway to see the wrecks at 120 feet or whatnot, so it's a moot point. I'd think it'd be worth the investment to just get some tec training so you can stay for a decent amount of time at depths past 100 feet if that's where the wreck or whatever is.

There's lots of good marine science that's been done below 100 feet without benefit of "tec" training or equipment. If you really plan on entering the field, it might serve you to learn some of its history. FOr personal reasons I'd suggest that you start with Hanauer's "Diving Pioneers" and then move on to Earle's "Sea Change."

I honestly don't even see why any depth past 100 feet is on the PADI Air RDP.

I can see a couple of reasons why a logical person might expect it. Accidental descent which occurs with many people due to carelessness, equipment malfunction, or disorientation due to vertigo or poor visibility. Assist or rescue a buddy who became disoriented or unconscious. Immediate search and retrieve of lost gear. To prove that you are a "man". Because mistakes happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom