Maximum depth for recreational divers

How deep for rec?

• 60'

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • 100'

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • 130'

Votes: 112 50.7%
  • Its a silly idea dreamed up by someone in an office .

Votes: 38 17.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

syntaxerrorsix

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
What would you consider the MOD for a recreational dive using recreational gear and widely available tables?

Well, of course it would depend on the diver (experience, skill level, etc.). There's not much you'll see below 130' that you can't see at <50'. I put 130' because that's where you need to go to dive the Devil's Throat in Cozumel. But, there's a reason it's considered an "advanced" dive.

Well, of course it would depend on the diver (experience, skill level, etc.). There's not much you'll see below 130' that you can't see at <50'. I put 130' because that's where you need to go to dive the Devil's Throat in Cozumel. But, there's a reason it's considered an "advanced" dive.

I like to see the entire wreck, not just the main deck. I can see your point if we are talking about diving typical reefs and such.

100'

Given most recreational divers have between 80 and 100 cubic feet of gas, that gives them reasonable bottom time with sufficient reserves.

Assuming SAC of .75CFM, an HP100 will provide 20 minutes at 100' with about 1400PSI in reserve, and an 80 will provide 15 minutes with a (marginal) reserve of 1200PSI.

130'

I also answered assuming this was on Air, the MOD would change if it was on EANx.

How so? You can dive deeper than 130' on EANx but it does not make it more ideal as far as determining a MOD for recreational dives.

I'd say 100 feet for general diving. I think narcosis is a significant issue below that (although I realize I am clearly either susceptible or perceptive), a lot of people don't carry enough gas to have safety reserves below that, and the surface as a problem-solving option is a long way away when you're down that far.

How so? You can dive deeper than 130' on EANx but it does not make it safer or more ideal.
Due to the risk of CNS (Central Nervous System) oxygen toxicity, you have progressively *shallower* MODs on nitrox as the oxygen fraction increases. The "best mix" is determined by the requirement that the MOD be deep enough for the dive and the desire to have as little nitrogen as practical (with additional constraints as covered in nitrox courses).

100'

Given most recreational divers have between 80 and 100 cubic feet of gas, that gives them reasonable bottom time with sufficient reserves.

Assuming SAC of .75CFM, an HP100 will provide 20 minutes at 100' with about 1400PSI in reserve, and an 80 will provide 15 minutes with a (marginal) reserve of 1200PSI.
Agreed.
I voted 100' as well.

Due to the risk of CNS (Central Nervous System) oxygen toxicity, you have progressively *shallower* MODs on nitrox as the oxygen fraction increases. The "best mix" is determined by the requirement that the MOD be deep enough for the dive and the desire to have as little nitrogen as practical (with additional constraints as covered in nitrox courses).

Thanks I understand that.

I was simply stating that your best mix and say a Po2 of 1.5 will easily take you deeper than 130' safely and is not a determining factor on whether or not it is an acceptable depth limit for recreational diving. I was seeing if the OP of the comment understood that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom