Maximum depth for recreational divers

How deep for rec?

• 60'

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • 100'

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • 130'

Votes: 112 50.7%
  • Its a silly idea dreamed up by someone in an office .

Votes: 38 17.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sheesh guys, do the math. You do realize that you are not restricted to .32 and .36 nitrox right? a po2 of 1.5 is not all that uncommon either.

Yes, I am well aware of the wide variety of Nitrox mixes available (from shops that will custom blend, not all of them do) and how to do the math. My post was not at all based on the assumption that 32 and 36 were the only blends available, just simply that I can't tell you the MOD for a mix unless you tell me what the mix is.

FWIW though, 1.4 is, according to the course I took, the max pO2 you should plan for. Up to 1.6 is for contingency planning only. I'm not going to tell you how to dive, but for me I would not plan a dive past 1.4, and I usually plan to stay a good bit above the 1.4 MOD for any mix I use. I really don't see any reason to push for 1.5 or further.

Sheesh guys, do the math. You do realize that you are not restricted to .32 and .36 nitrox right? a po2 of 1.5 is not all that uncommon either.

What math? Whether it's 100 feet on 37% or 300 feet on 15%, 1.5 as a bottom mix scares me.

Yep. Believe it or not it was a single tank aluminum 80. That was when I was a little younger and a lot dumber.

BDSC

'good' times :p

Do you remember the dive?

Yes, I am well aware of the wide variety of Nitrox mixes available (from shops that will custom blend, not all of them do) and how to do the math. My post was not at all based on the assumption that 32 and 36 were the only blends available, just simply that I can't tell you the MOD for a mix unless you tell me what the mix is.

FWIW though, 1.4 is, according to the course I took, the max pO2 you should plan for. Up to 1.6 is for contingency planning only. I'm not going to tell you how to dive, but for me I would not plan a dive past 1.4, and I usually plan to stay a good bit above the 1.4 MOD for any mix I use. I really don't see any reason to push for 1.5 or further.

Thats a good idea not to base your dives any differently than you have been trained.

You should most definitely be able to figure out the the best mix for 130' is, you only need one side of the equation and to determine what is an acceptable po2 in regards to your training.

Thats a good idea not to base your dives any differently than you have been trained.

You should most definitely be able to figure out the the best mix for 130' is, you only need one side of the equation and to determine what is an acceptable po2 in reagrds to your training.

:rofl3:

You really really need to be right, don't you? Ok, you're right!

So, were you asking this question originally with recreational divers on air in mind? You know, to eliminate the guesswork for those of us that have a problem with equations and that tough math. If so, my answer of 130' still stands as my opinion.

Actually, it stands as my opinion either way, even though there are mixes that give you more depth based solely on O2 pressure, even at 1.4.

What math? Whether it's 100 feet on 37% or 300 feet on 15%, 1.5 as a bottom mix scares me.

'good' times :p

Do you remember the dive?

The dive? I don't even remember the trip!

I do remember the dive. What I remember most is looking up the wall and thinking, "I've got a long way to go!"

BDSC

Sheesh guys, do the math. You do realize that you are not restricted to .32 and .36 nitrox right? A po2 of 1.5 is not all that uncommon either and is used for planning with .27FG in deco class. Realizing this is out of the scope for rec diving.
You're right, a few tech friends traditionally use a 1.6. However, the thread is based on recreational diving... no?

:rofl3:

You really really need to be right, don't you? Ok, you're right!

So, were you asking this question originally with recreational divers on air in mind? You know, to eliminate the guesswork for those of us that have a problem with equations and that tough math. If so, my answer of 130' still stands as my opinion.

Actually, it stands as my opinion either way, even though there are mixes that give you more depth based solely on O2 pressure, even at 1.4.

What difference does it make? Are you going to change your answer if I say Nitrox? All I'm saying is 130' can be dove on both without a problem.:shakehead:

As far as having to be right? I could care less what you actually do.

You're right, a few tech friends traditionally use a 1.6. However, the thread is based on recreational diving... no?

1.6 is pretty much industry standard for deco (50 at 70, 100 at 20).

Bottom mix (which is the subject of discussion)? Not so much.

100' is my floor.
narcosis up until there is manageable for me. I'm uncomfortable deeper than that on air/ean

You are correct, it has been taken out of context. Trying to drop subject ...

unsuccessfully :)

Back
Top Bottom