Maximum depth for recreational divers

How deep for rec?

• 60'

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • 100'

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • 130'

Votes: 112 50.7%
  • Its a silly idea dreamed up by someone in an office .

Votes: 38 17.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I've posted before I'm in the crowd that says: "If you aren't getting paid your dive is recreational". Further that: "All dives are decompression dives". Even further that: "It isn't the depth alone. It is the depth in concert with other factors, like visibility, water temperature, distance from open water if in an overhead environment, available breathing gas supply and so forth"

To me this focus on depth is not only missing the mark it is helping mislead people into ignoring other factors that, like breathing gas supply, may be even more important.

I'm with N, I think the same way you do.

I selected 130' for the max depth for most 'experienced' divers operating within recreational NLD profiles.

If one has the interest in dive profiles that are deeper I would strongly suggest looking into taking a few entry level recreational technical classes from an agency like TDI//NAUI//DSAT.

:)

MOD for recreational diving is as deep as you can go and still have fun. That said, I rarely dive below 100 fsw, and usually it's less; if you can see the same stuff at 40 ft as you can at 80 ft, why not stay at 40 and get a much longer dive?

190, that's where you go from well tested tables onto exceptional exposure tables. That doen't mean that all divers can (or should) dive to 190, hell ... some are a hazard in the bath tub.

MOD for recreational diving is as deep as you can go and still have fun. That said, I rarely dive below 100 fsw, and usually it's less; if you can see the same stuff at 40 ft as you can at 80 ft, why not stay at 40 and get a much longer dive?

Good point. Just because you can go deeper doesn't mean you should or even want to. Don't be influenced by threads like this or anyone for that matter. Dive where you feel comfortable. I respect anyone who dives within their limits no matter how shallow that may be...:D

I understand because my wife feels the same way you do.

To me this focus on depth is not only missing the mark it is helping mislead people into ignoring other factors that, like breathing gas supply, may be even more important.

Exactly. Breathing gas supply, as usual, is the governing factor.

That's why I ran some quick numbers in my head with two popular singles tanks. I shot for 15 minutes BT as a minimum.

With what I consider a safe reserve, I came up with 100 feet. Much deeper, and the shortened time provided by the gas supply makes it pointless. That said, I was figuring the entire length of the dive at max depth. I suppose if one doesn't mind spending only 5 or 10 minutes at the bottom (maybe like a wall dive), I'd extend it down.

However, I voted for "silly idea" for a number of reasons, most of which have been covered.

True but if the wreck is at 150ft and you want to see the wreck you have to go there.

Especially here due to rough weather all the more intact wrecks are located in deeper water.

I'm with my BSAC colleagues on this...there is a gradual progression of difficulties and skills involved in diving not only depending on depth but also on water temperature, visibility, current yes or no, shore or boat dives, etc

Belgian CMAS (NELOS) certification includes decompression techniques and dives from level 2 (CMAS 2* Diver = between PADI AOW and rescuediver). This includes calculating deco profiles using tables and computer, calculating bottom time, rules of thirds, calculating air usage, etc. This also obviously includes calculation of PP02 and PPN2 and it's effects (paul bert).

Depth limits are:
CMAS 1 * Diver (PADI OW/AOW) = 66 feet
CMAS 2 * Diver (PADI AOW/rescuediver) = 100 feet
CMAS 3 * Diver new style (PADI DM) = 130 feet
CMAS 3 * Diver old style (PADI DM) = 190 feet
Above CMAS 3 * = depth limit of US NAVY 93 tables (= 300 feet)

From 2 * onwards you may make deco dives as long as you keep to your depth limit. Obviously this does not happen often if you have a depthlimit of 100 feet. But the standard tank used in Belgium is 119HP tank so it still is feasible to get slight deco time.

The extreme depths that anything above CMAS/NELOS 3 * dives may dive to (and be insured) is obviously an anachronism in current knowledge of bubble theory, CNS, etc (the old NAVY tables allowed diving to PP02 2.0). But CMAS/NELOS has the attitude that if you are above a certain certification you should know what you can and cannot do.

In below link you'll find our currently still in use tables.

http://wiki.nelos.be/images/4/43/BND_Tabellen_1.0.0.pdf

I understand that there are agencies that will divide between recreational and technical diving. If you use the definition that any dive with a ceiling (be it artificial or real) is a technical dive then some dives we do may be called technical. Our certification agency however clearely thinks otherwise as do other european agencies since deco diving is part of their curiculum.

Bright line rules are usually always silly when comparing the borderline cases. But it seems to me there's an incredible amount of nitpicking here whereas the notion of "recreational diving" is pretty widely understood for the vast majority of divers here (and considering this is a question posted on the "Basic Scuba Discussions" forum), even if the absolute, literal accuracy of the phrase can be questioned. I think it's a valid discussion topic without really needing to get into the whole "recreational diving is farce" debate.

IMO and limited experience, assuming near-ideal conditions, narcosis increases considerably as a factor as depth increases, so 100-130 is a fairly reasonable floor. For me, that would be right about 100. I was at 109 on a single tank in Hawaii, and while I didn't *feel* narced at the time, I was well aware of how deep I was and not entirely comfortable with it; afterwards decided I wasn't interested in going back to that depth without proper training, preparation and equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom