MAX AIR 35 Compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As long as the "shop" compressor has the out-put volume needed and you are heavy on filtration, extremely important if it is oil lubed. Most of the systems we put together use rotary screw compressors (Kaeser brand) for the supply air. Others use some type of Atlas Copco units.

The idea is to match the L.P. compressor to supply the H.P. compressor requirements for the highest percentage of nitrox produced, so that you don't have the L.P. compressor "cycling" on and off during operation. Most shop compressors have an on/off type pressure switch that has a differential (cut out/cut in) pressure. The machines we use go into an "idle" mode where the motor doesn't actually shut off when the cut out pressure is reached. A timer is set to shut the machine off if no load occurs for a certain amount of time. During nitrox production, when the H.P. compressor is operating, the L.P. compressor should run continuously. I believe the way Nuvair systems are set up, one membrane can be used through a range of compressor sizes. I know one of their units can supply a 6, 7.5 or 10 cfm H.P. compressor.

Craig

Went to pickup MaxAir 35 and got cold feet so I walked (want to sleep on it for another night).

Sometimes the best deal (cheapest alternative) isn't the best long term option. Here is my reasoning. Comparing to the Alkin W31 (~$3500 shipped to my door). Like all the larger stationary compressors. The Alkin W31 is a 3 stage (larger pistons) and operates at 1200RPM (quieter and more reliable) and is continous cycle (option to cascade a air bank). And still portable.

My priority aries: Convenience. Reliability. Performance. And lastly Cost. Did I make a sound decision walking or should I go back and pickup this MaxAir 35?

Went to pickup MaxAir 35 and got cold feet so I walked (want to sleep on it for another night).

Sometimes the best deal (cheapest alternative) isn't the best long term option. Here is my reasoning. Comparing to the Alkin W31 (~$3500 shipped to my door). Like all the larger stationary compressors. The Alkin W31 is a 3 stage (larger pistons) and operates at 1200RPM (quieter and more reliable) and is continous cycle (option to cascade a air bank). And still portable.

My priority aries: Convenience. Reliability. Performance. And lastly Cost. Did I make a sound decision walking or should I go back and pickup this MaxAir 35?

Things that sound to good to be true often are. The MaxAir and the W31 are pretty comparable. The W31 is not continuous duty but it is quieter. Your Maxair price was steal, I would get that one (and I own a W31)

If you do decide to go with the W31, become ANAL about running it. There have been numerous problems arise around the 250-350 hour mark for people pumping high pressures (above 3000). So many problems that Airtex has replaced it as their "personal" sized compressor with something else and has pulled the W31 link off their site.

Coltri uses the same compressor with different cylinders as it's low pressure unit in Europe.

If you change the oil religiously and only pump single cylinders (no cascade tanks), it should last you a long time.

Now, all that said, go with the MaxAir deal ... it is a steal for a new compressor.

Back
Top Bottom