MAX AIR 35 Compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UaVaj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Found a decent deal on a new max air 35 compressor (gasoline version). $2250 before tax. Consider picking it up in a day or two.

Wondering if anyone have any real world experience regarding this compressor?

I will be using it to fill 60-120 tanks a year. 120cf to 3500psi.

Adding nitrox will be a plus however not a necessity since most of my dive in this area has been deep.

Want to hear all the good, the bad and the ugly. Keep in mind - I am not in love with this compressor so fire away. If you are recommended a different compressor - do keep in mind portability (100lb max). I need to be able to bring it on the boat when needed.

Also want to hear the do and don't with this particular compressor. And possible/necessary modifications. For example: I understand it has a small filter and could use a larger/better one. One modification I can think of adding right away is a muffler.

100 tanks times 100 cf times 10 cents/cf times two years = $2,000 at FillExpress. If you buy 10,000 foot fill cards, it's even cheaper.

I dive a little more than that and I can't justify compressor ownership when FillExpress is just 30 miles away from 80% of my diving.

My LDS is only 15 min away and they are super super nice. Air is only $3 and Nitrox is $8.

It is more for convenience than anything else. Plus for those rare occasion when I am way off shore (bimini or tortuga). It would save the weight of carring extra of tanks.

WOW!! That's over $1000 off their retail and a bunch off dealer cost as well! Make sure that it is actually new (should have a timer on it that indicates less than a couple of testing hours).

These are actually re-branded ColtriSub MCH6 machines and work very well for your uses. Change the oil religiously and filters regularly. While using Nitrox will void your warranty through Maxair, as soon as your warranty has expired, Coltri says you can run up to 40% of membrane generated nitrox up to 3800 psi.

The 100 hour service kit can be put off to about 150-175 hours if you only use the Coltri 751 oil

Take care if it and it will last you a long time.

rcontrera - do you sell the these service kit and the nitrox kit?

if so please send me some quote. If you prefer PM - that will be fine.

another question - for $2250 is there any other better alternative? if not - I am planning to pick this unit up on monday/tuesday.

Last question first ... $2250 is WAY cheap for a MaxAir 35. There really isn't another compressor ... new at least ... in that price range. Get it!

Next, the oil change kit should come with the compressor. In order to maintain your warranty, you will be forced to use only MaxAir oil. Once your warranty is done (either by calendar or your choice), then an oil change "kit" only consists of 1/2 liter of oil for about $12 ... a lot less if you buy in bulk. However, one gallon of oil is good for about seven oil changes.

As far as running nitrox, you just need to get a membrane system, which isn't exactly a kit. In fact, the membrane system will cost a LOT more than your compressor. However, it is the safest, easiest and most cost effective (in the logn run) method of generating Nitrox.
stick.gif

With a Nitrox membrane system set up, you can choose to pump air or Nitrox with the flip of a switch or turn of a knob.

Hope that helped!

Ray,

How much does a membrane system, suitably sized for a 3.5 to 5 cfm machine cost?

With out the air supply, you are probably looking at 10K to 11K. The most efficient means of supplying L.P. air is from a compressor. You can use H.P. stored air, but you are limited to the stored supply, which will have to be refilled when depleted. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think 3 storage bottles (air) will yield 1 storage bottle (nitrox). You will also have the problem of "icing" in the reduction regulator to deal with.

Craig

They are not cheap!! The one in my little graphic above (3-6 CFM 32-40%) is $6318 and, like Craig said, would be better served with a low pressure compressor than feeding off of high pressure bottles. So, overall, you re looking at about a $7000 investment if you already have a small compressor.

If you don't have a compressor, Coltri has one system that consists of the small HP compressor, a low pressure compressor and the membrane system for about $11 grand. Kind of spendy for an individual, but it might make sense for a club or group of divers.

By the way, all the ColtriSub Nitrox stuff is built by Nuvair in the US.

Yikes! They do seem like they are the "best" solution to producing nitrox, but you'd really have to be pumping a lot of gas to make it viable! Very cool technology tho. Just out of curiosity, how much pressure would you need for the supply compressor for one of those? Would a standard 150psi shop compressor do the trick?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom