Maui's Artificial Reef expanded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If that is the main deep reef beyond the wreck I have spent considerable time scootering over it. I've even kayaked out to start the scooter dive 300-400 yards beyond the wreck from Ulua. That main reef runs from pretty much the Mana Kai out to beyond the wreck and parallels the coast about a half mile out with the top of the reef running 40-80' (40-50' top depth beyond the wreck) with surrounding sand at 90-130' (the deep number was off Wailea Point).

There are also a couple smaller patch reefs between the main reef and the wreck. If it's the closest one of those to the wreck It is 80 or more feet deep and and only 10 feet tall; it would have been pretty invisible to most snorkelers. That said they should have been able to miss the patch reef, it's less than 5% of the target area and a diver would see it from 20 foot deep.

Last edited:
While it is a shame that the reef was damaged it would be an even bigger shame if this stopped or slowed down the artificial reef programs already in place. I wouldn't be surprised to see the reef spread faster as a result of having more hard surface available nearby.

I remember when the big swell hit Lahaina a couple of years back - as I dove the reef off front street 3 days/week I got a full 18 months watching it recover - it went from looking like a steam roller had run over the reef to hardly being noticeable 18 months later. Sure there are still a few spots where you can find 6 foot long heads of coral toppled over, but it's not dead and most had already begun to spread again by the time I moved away.

Just saying, while I hope this is not repeated, I also don't want an accident to slow down the progress which is finally being made in getting artificial reefs put down around the islands either (which apparently is the case according to the KITV report)

Thanks for posting the videos though ... it is a sad sight, I just don't want to lose perspective on the bigger picture

Aloha, Tim

Yes, yes... there's been more than that in the Maui News, as well... BUT this still does not corroborate that the video that's being passed around is indeed from the Maui damage.

Here you go Kris (and any other doubting Thomas'...). The person who took the video also got some topside shots. They emailed them to me to support that the video is indeed shot at that location. (By the way, the video is up to almost 800 views now so the word is getting out....) They are presently keeping their identity secret because of the sensitive nature of this situation. I don't even know who this person is although they have told me that we do know each other. I tip my hat the them and wag my finger at the barge operator.

Three photos of the barge dumping the Z blocks. The YouTube video was shot a day or two after at this same location. The videographer is concerned that DLNR may close the site to divers to essentially 'hide' the evidence. I commend the videographer for taking it upon his/her self to document this right away.

12139_1263854590003_1038890729_802320_1552504_n.jpg

12139_1263854630004_1038890729_802321_7937913_n.jpg

12139_1263854670005_1038890729_802322_6865152_n.jpg

Here is a link to another news article written by a local Maui diver with many years experience diving Maui's reefs:

Hawaii Reporter: Hawaii Reporter

We haven't heard the last of this yet but I suspect a heavy downplay by the DLNR.

What are your thoughts folks? Do we just look the other way and forget about it? I hope not! This is the main agency that is regulating OUR industry. They should be setting a better example for us, don't you think? They gave MDS a zero tolerance attitude and almost bankrupted them! I would think the nice folks at MDS are pretty interested in how this plays out. I plan on watching this closely and diving the area as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks for the Hawaii Reporter link, Doug... it's nice that someone with first-hand photos is willing to put their name on it.

I've seen top-side shots, too, but without knowing what they were on top of, that doesn't prove anything either... I mean, it is well-known they dropped the Z-blocks... just not what they were dropped on top of.

If the barge operator was off-target, the barge operator needs to be fined.

After looking more closely at the video it does look like one of the smaller patch reefs between the main deep reef and the wreck. If you head a little south of directly West from the wreck I think this spot is ~100 yds past the last of the tire reef. It is in about 80-90' deep water with a max height off the bottom of almost 10'.

I am in favor of a significant fine for the barge company for this damage, unless a DLNR directive forced them to dump in exactly that location. Even the Navy got fined for running aground off Barbers Point. If it was a DLNR decision, heads should roll!

I think this spot is North of the wreck Steve. Some of the Z-blocks are in like 45 feet of water I heard. By watching the videos you can get an estimate on depth, the sunbeams would indicate fairly shallow stuff. They were supposed to put them in an area that had a depth of between 70' and 120', no?

I cannot believe this situation is not getting more attention. This dispicable pollution should be removed immediately!! I was talking with a friend about the whole situation tonight and we came up with the conclusion that Z blocks are a terrible reef seed. They are too smooth for corals and critters to find shelter in, simple as that. They should be full of pock mark pukas everywhere so little stuff can get a hold and then that brings in everyone else. Otherwise it is way too long for a coral colony and fish population to become established.

Who invented this method? Were they even really thinking? Guess not!

Well Doug, going North there is no 120' water; that's why I thought directly West or a little South of West. The max depth of the sand with any North in your West (from the wreck) is only 90'. If you follow the fiber optics cable all the way out from the boulder pile that is the Mokapu surf break, there is a gap in the main deep reef and that is where the +120' water is. That cable runs in the halimeda just south of the bare sand area the wreck is in.

I was just optimistic that they were located on the proper bearing out to sea for the 70-120' statement.

Last edited:
I have a possible theory. If I were an operator with a "Stairways" permit, dumping the blocks in 45' deep water just north of the wreck would seem to be in my best interest as far as guided shore diving goes.

I'm just sayin' there is a whole lot of silence goin' on and it's pretty darn suspicious. Kind of like any train wreck; the more the involved parties clam up, the more the rumors fly!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom