Maui with Snorkeler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pclark2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to be in Maui in January and will of course be scuba diving. My wife only snorkels (I've been trying to get her diving for years). Which company would you recommend for trips from south Maui to Molokini that also take snorkelers on the same boat? I want to make sure the site is good for a snorkeler and that there is a guide for the snorkelers. I see some companies say the Back Wall is their preferred site, but that I doubt is good for snorkelers. So any recommendations?

And while I have you, I assume if I want to see snowflake moray eels that would require a shore dive? I love that particular species and saw them 10 years ago on shore dives.

Thank you!

The Back Wall is not for snorkelers or future divers - it's often a live drop, vertical, deep, there's enough current that they'll pick you up farther along the wall so a snorkeler might actually find it unsafe.

Options where you can do both - there's others but these are ones I know of.

Trilogy Sailing Charters does both - actually the snorkeling is probably better than the diving sometimes based on where they go. They also offer SNUBA which could be an intro to diving for her. Sort of higher priced for Scuba compared to other options.

Pride of Maui is a big snorkeling powered cat out of Ma'alea. They also offer intro to scuba and if you're certified will probvide tanks/weights etc. and turn you loose. They moor inside the crater so it's usually pretty calm - also they drop steps into the water. Lunch is included in the price but it's higher priced than a dive trip with a dive operation. Some of their trips go up the coast to Kapalua also.

Maui Diamond II is also based in Ma'alea - it's a smaller boat that's booked either direct or thru Maui Dreams Dive Co. in Kihei - they offer both options on the same trip often.

There's going to be 10x the snorkelers inside Molokini Crater vs. divers on any given day. Mention it if you book a dive trip - they may have site options where you can do both. Sometimes they hang off the tips of the crater so that's more for diving but if they moor inside, you go one direction and she goes the other. I don't know if any of the dive boats offer snorkel guides but someone stays on the boat so they could watch out for your wife.

Some of the Lanai options might be possible also. Trilogy snorkels there besides sailing over to Molokini. They used to (maybe still do) manage the snorkel/dive shop at the Four Seasons - the snorkel in Hulopoe bay there is one of the best in Hawaii - might see Spinner Dolphins playing there. I don't know where you'd get tanks on Lanai if Trilogy no longer has the concession though.

We dove Sharkfin some years ago with Lahaina Divers and they moored in the bay and some of the group went towards Lanai where it's pretty shallow to find the octo's. Instabuddy and I went around the outside which was an e-ticket ride, lots of current, a big drop to past rec depths and thousands of fish holding in the current - white tips patrolling around the perimeter.

Lastly some of the Maui shore dives are good snorkels also. At Black Rock - once you get to the back, it's not uncommon for snorkeler's to swim down for a look and she could stay above you for the entire dive - it's not very deep. They do both off Kapalua Beach also - get tanks at the Maui Dive Shop in Kahana Gateway - it's on the way.

At Wailea Beach the entire south side is a decent snorkel to maybe 30' it only gets to be about 60-70 a good swim out. I've done both there - there's kind of a shelf along the left side so it's pretty shallow till you get to the point where it's maybe 40'? We dove there, the Grand Wailea next door has a dive shop.

Just for reference, I recognize 8/10 of these as dive sites and have dove several. http://www.prideofmaui.com/blog/snorkeling-maui/top-5-snorkeling-spots-in-maui.html

Last edited:
What reasons does she give for not scuba diving?

Might be one of those things that needs a different approach.

Her reasons are mostly due to nerves. She didn't grow up going to the beach much and never snorkeled. The first time she ever snorkeled was with me, so she is still getting comfortable with that. Things like the giant stride also scare her since she never would jump into a pool as a kid but slide in. In my mind a shore dive would be a great start for her, but I haven't had any luck convincing her. Another thing that probably plays a role, but a small one, is that she has a back and neck injury from a car accident years ago that means she shouldn't carry much weight. That just means someone carrying the tank for her until she is in the water. Last year in Hawaii I even had a dive instructor talk to her about doing a discover dive right from the dock (which is where they do it at that shop) but it didn't fully convince her. Fingers crossed eventually I will convince her.

Funny story. So her 3rd time snorkeling ever was on our honeymoon and I basically through her in with sharks. It was a spot the group went to that was about 30 feet deep with a slight current and there were black tip reef sharks at the surface and lemon sharks at the bottom. She did good though and joined the guide and myself swimming around while the rest of the group stayed holding onto the boat. I also took her on a helmet dive the next day and a submarine another day. I figure one step at a time to convince her :) Four years later though I still haven't made much progress sadly.

SNUBA might be an option for her - Trilogy does it at Molokini. No stress on her back since the float remains at the surface - you do wear a modest weight belt though to help stay down. Also there's a harness the hose attaches to so there's no pull on the reg. in your mouth.

Can I Go SNUBA Diving off Maui/Lana'i? FAQ to Help You Decide

Another option might be a discover dive with Maui Dreams Dive Co. they do them off the beach in south Maui - and would carry her gear into the water for her. I even think the beaches on that end are less steep than some on the west side - at Old Airport Beach I was surprised that the bottom fell away quickly just offshore. I think Tiny Bubbles does some of their shore dives off Ka'napali beaches also - that must be a flat easy entry. Same story on the carry/assistance.

Plus the dm/guide will stay within a few feet of her for the entire dive.

Last edited:
Good idea. I was just talking to my sister-in-law about snuba in Maui yesterday. In previous years we've gone to the Big Island and they have snuba in Kona but we stay up the coast a bit so not an ideal location for her. This is better. I have a feeling I will still have a fight on my hand, but one day I will wear her down enough to get her to try it!

Thank you!

+1 on Maui Dreams beach dive. They are a good shop. And entry can be very easy. There is a shallow 30-40’ reef south east of the shop that has easy entry. Ute beach maybe. You might do a short snorkel followed by a discover Scuba. Also Grand Wailea has discover dives in their for scuba pool.

Last edited:
My wife doesn't dive but does snorkel and is pretty experienced at it. Four years ago we went to Maui and she snorkeled with Red Line Rafting. She thought they did a pretty good job. There were not any divers on the boat. I don't know if any of the operators take divers and snorkelers on the same boat. We have done that other places and it has been our experience the sites are normally too deep for snorkelers to see much.

I just got back from diving in Maui. Found this article 11 Best Snorkeling Spots In Maui before I went and wanted to give the top 5 spots a try. Omgoodness so absolutely amazing. Highly recommend Molokini Crater.

Some gorgeous turtlers swimming around. Dont get to close or try and pet them though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom