Maui vacation - trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexandra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Maui Trip Report
April 21-29, 2006

Hotel:
We stayed at the Hyatt in Kaanapali, just north of Lahaina on the West coast of Maui. It’s at the far end of the hotel strip so a little less trafficked by passer bys. The hotel itself is quite nice on well kept ground with good pools. The check-in was simple but given that we arrived around noon, our room was not ready and we were told we would have to wait till 3pm. In the meantime, we went down to the restaurant by the pool to have lunch. We were upgraded from a non view room to a partial ocean view room which had a corner view of the water and ½ view of the golf course. It’s not like we spent that much time in our room or on our balcony that the view really mattered.

The room itself was comfortable with ample space. Sofa and coffee table, desk, TV, very very comfortable bed, separate entrance/bathroom sink area, bathtub and toilet in a room of their own. Good size walk in closet also off the entrance.

To cut down on costs, we went shopping at the Costco by the airport and stopped by Safeway in Lahaina. When we checked-in to our rooms, the bellman immediately called the hotel service desk and got us a mini-fridge! This really helped us out as the mini bar fridge is tiny and honestly not very cool. We were able to have our own beers for the week which was great and economical. We also kept milk for breakfast, cheeses and sandwich meats.

Restaurant/Meals:
As noted above, we really tried to cut down on the costs of this trip so we did eat all meals at restaurants. Most breakfasts we ate on the way to the dive shop in the morning (breakfast cake from Costco, cereal, fruits). We did have breakfast at Cheeseburger in Paradise one morning and that was pretty good, affordable, plus a great view. The last day we had the super duper plate covering pancakes at Pioneer Inn in Lahaina. Yummy and again very affordable. We shared one plate for 2 and that was plenty! Lunches were mostly in Lahaina, after returning from morning dives. We ate at Cool Cats twice although not that great. Front Street Grill was not only better food but a much nicer atmosphere. We also had a wonderful lunch in Paia (on the way to Hana) at the Fish Market – highly recommended. Dinner options were varied. A few nights we stayed at the hotel and had cheese, crackers and paté, grilled chicken and salad. We also had a beautiful romantic dinner at the Westin Tropica restaurant. Including a medium priced wine, the dinner came to $175 but the food was exquisite.

Diving:
We dove the whole week with Lahaina Divers on Dickenson street in Lahaina. We did a total of 5 2-tank dives, and 2 full day 4-tank dives going to Lanai, Molokini and Maui. The dive sites included: (Lanai) Cathedrals I, II and III (Mempachi), No name paradise, , (Molokini) Reef’s end, back wall, Tako flats, (Maui) beach dives at the Hyatt reef, and the 5 graves/caves Makena, Wala wharf, Jodo Reef, Cliff House East and West, The Point.

We had a great time with Lahaina Divers and were particularly impressed with John and Dan (brothers) who not only were excellent guides and divers but honestly enjoy what they do and go above and beyond to make the trips more fun for all. All their dives are guided, which may come to a surprise to California divers who are used to being left on their own. However, it is pleasant while on vacation to not have to have your nose glued to your compass.
Visibility was excellent… on an average between 75’ and 100’ although the back wall of Molokini does open up to 150’. They said we had almost 200’ one day but I don’t know if I agree with that. Nonetheless, it was excellent.
Water temp was mostly around 74-75 with a few shallower dives closer to 76-77. This is according to my Suunto computer. Accordingly to the Uwatec, we had a few dives at 78. I started out wearing a 3/5mm full wetsuit but got a little chilled at the end of the dives, especially the 2nd or 3rd in the day. So, I started to wear my 3/5 hooded vest as well and felt fine. Some folks wore 3mm, some 5mm, some even wore shorties, and a few even in 7mm. Basically it all depends on what makes you happy and comfortable in the water.

Conclusion:
The total cost of vacation was close to $3000 for the 2 of us for 8 days but we used miles to get us to Maui and Hyatt points for the hotel. The car rental was $250 and we were extremely lucky to get an upgrade from a midsize to a Chevy Trailblazer. Note: gas on the island is WAY expensive… kind of like everything else.

It was a wonderful vacation and I would definitely recommend taking a week to relax and go diving – but try to cut down on costs while there as it is really overpriced.

Words of wisdom:
Don’t bother getting up at 3-3:30am to go to the top of the mountain to see the sun rise. Unless it’s your first day there and you are totally jetlagged anyway, it is just not worth it.
Make lunch your main meal and dinner a lighter one so that you aren’t stuck paying the higher prices.
If you are staying in Lahaina, don’t bother driving to Kilue to dive with the shops over there. Again, not worth the getting up 45m earlier to go to the same dive sites.
In fact, if you are there for a week or more try to stick with one dive group. Not only can you get a multi-dive discount but you get to know them and them you which is really valuable.
If you decide to go snorkeling be sure to ask where the boat is going. If they are going to a site which is in 40’ of water, the snorkeling will stink. The afternoon dives are usually the ones to take snorkelers on, or plan to go from the shore.
When you do the drive to Hana, don’t stop there and turn around. Take the day and go all around the island. The south side is absolutely gorgeous and totally inhabitated. Yes, you will need to start your day early and if you do a few hikes/stops along the way, it will take you the full day. It’s totally worth it!
Don’t forget the convenience of grocery stores… you may not be able to do a full shopping spree without a kitchen at your disposal but you can certainly get a head of lettuce $2, some dressing $3, and a grilled chicken $6 for dinner – price of eating on the balcony of your hotel in your PJs with your toes in the breeze $priceless.

Photos: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2106564834

Great report, makes me can't wait to go back to Maui soon (December)!! We dive with Lahaina Divers when we're on Maui, and were actually certified by John....he's the BEST!! We've known him for quite a few years now and always look forward to hanging out with him (and Elliott) when we're on Maui.

I have to respectfully disagree that the drive to Kihei isn't worth it though...at least for us. We had always done all of our charter diving on Maui with Lahaina Divers until this year when we booked with Ed Robinsons to take advantage of their 3-tank Adventure charters to Molokini and S. Maui. The shorter boat ride, their encouragement to dive your own profile/tank, and the more advanced sites were a big departure from the type of diving that Lahaina Divers does. We'll definitely be doing all of our Molokini diving with a Kihei operator from now on (Ed Robinsons or B&B).

That said, we will continue to dive with Lahaina Divers to Lanai. It makes more sense to me to use a Lahaina op for that crossing and the big Newtons are the most comfortable dive boat on the water IMO (not counting liveaboards!). Since we're regulars with Lahaina Divers and most of the DM's know us, they allow us to dive our own profiles, which is cool. We did that on our trip last month and were typically first off the boat and nearly last back on-board, which we definitely appreciated.

Then again if all goes as planned, when John and his brothers get their own boat I'll definitely be booking with them!! :D :D :D

Thanks again for the trip report!

Nice report and thanks for taking the time to write it. A couple of points from my perspective.

1. For me, seeing the sunrise over Haleakala is a can't miss. But like you said, the trick is to do it the very FIRST full day you are there. That way the early wake up doesn't seem quite so early. I have done it several times. Only once was it a bust because of cloud cover. See a taste here: http://www.swimswithsharks.com/haleakala.htm

2. Like DiveMaven, I think the drive from Kaanapali to Kihei is worth it for the variety of diving. I have now started to stay in Kihei for the ease of getting to the boat launch for Ed Robinsons, Mike Severns and B & B.

3. I totally agree with your comment about not turning around at Hana. I know a lot of car rental companies warn you against the south side of the island but it is beautiful and well worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom