Maui trip report (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, we're already scheduled to do our Rescue with Maui Dreams. We have friends who have trained with them and recommended them very highly. Between our friend's recommendation and their really good price, it was a no-brainer for us to choose Maui Dreams. :D Thanks for the confirmation that they're good...that definitely adds to my certainty that we picked correctly.

Hey, if you're doing your DM with them, maybe we'll see you there!

I'm sure that even if our friends get their boat and everything set up in the next 6 months that they won't be doing training for awhile. We're just waiting for them to get going so we can do charters with them instead of other ops.

Sounds good... when's your trip?

I'll probably be done my DM by then, but will certainly volunteer to be your 'victim'! :D

What stage are your friends at with the dive op? Are they buying an existing dive boat op? From what I hear, getting permits to dive at Molokini (or launch at the Kihei boat ramp) is next to impossible, unless you're buying an existing one.

Response received from Ed Robinson himself. It sounds like no real action will be taken, and here's a highlight from the e-mail response:

I do not subscribe to your allegation of unsafe practices regarding [DM's name removed]'s attempting to help a diver by giving her Sudafed that she ask for.

I'm just finishing a PADI nitrox course and the course materials specifically mention avoiding Sudafed (among other decongestant products) because of an elevated chance of developing CNS oxygen toxicity using enriched air. The PADI book also says "It's generally recommended that divers avoid decongestants when diving anyway (because they may wear off during the dive, leading to a reverse block)". p34 PADI Enriched Air Diver Manual. Personally, as a DM I'd never give a diver any medication before a dive. If you need it so badly - then you'd better have it with you when you get on the boat. I would give OTC pain relievers such as aspirin, and maybe dramamine if the diver decided not to dive. I would strongly encourage Ed to re-think his position on this matter.

My $0.02

End of lecture - let's party!

Mark

howard4113:
I'm just finishing a PADI nitrox course and the course materials specifically mention avoiding Sudafed (among other decongestant products) because of an elevated chance of developing CNS oxygen toxicity using enriched air. The PADI book also says "It's generally recommended that divers avoid decongestants when diving anyway (because they may wear off during the dive, leading to a reverse block)". p34 PADI Enriched Air Diver Manual. Personally, as a DM I'd never give a diver any medication before a dive. If you need it so badly - then you'd better have it with you when you get on the boat. I would give OTC pain relievers such as aspirin, and maybe dramamine if the diver decided not to dive. I would strongly encourage Ed to re-think his position on this matter.

My $0.02

End of lecture - let's party!

Mark
Mark: I agree entirely.

There is a touchy issue with OTC's, though too, but that becomes a liability issue, rather than a potential dive accident.

As I have mentioned here before: I have taken Sudafed before a dive. But, I know the potential consequences (reverse block) and have sometimes felt that it was worth it.

I think where people get confused is that DAN has "approved" Sudafed as long as you're not on EAN.

I seem to recall also that some of PADI's Medical Statements have included "Are you taking any prescription or non-prescription drugs?" -- the most recent one has left out the italicized part... I don't know why. And, a "Yes" statement means you have to get your doctor's clearance to dive.

Oddly enough, when I've "forgotten" to take it, I have had less trouble clearing... so I've decided to avoid it unless *absolutely* necessary (which is pretty much never... I don't *have* to go diving! :D )

KrisB:
Sounds good... when's your trip?

I'll probably be done my DM by then, but will certainly volunteer to be your 'victim'! :D

Thanks! We're scheduled to start our rescue class on Dec. 22 in the afternoon. We're going to dive Blackrock that morning to 'warm up' and hopefully will be able to talk Tim (Kidspot) into diving with us, and maybe even having breakfast afterward. :D Our in-water portions of rescue will be Dec. 23-24 in the mornings, and I'd love to have you be my "victim", as long as you aren't a very large person. :blinking: In the meantime, I'm working out to lose some fat, get into better cardio condition, and will start weight lifting soon to build some muscle.

KrisB:
What stage are your friends at with the dive op? Are they buying an existing dive boat op? From what I hear, getting permits to dive at Molokini (or launch at the Kihei boat ramp) is next to impossible, unless you're buying an existing one.

I don't really know where they're at. They're being very close mouthed about it since all 3 brothers work for an op on Maui and they don't want to be accused of violating their contracts by soliciting divers. Although we met the oldest brother a few years ago through that dive op, we consider him a friend now and always try to get together outside of diving when we're on island, as well as e-mailing during the year. Because I feel that we are friendly outside of our charters, I don't feel that they are soliciting us at all, but the dive op may not feel the same way. Since I don't want to jeopardize their jobs, I don't push for information.

DiveMaven:
Thanks! We're scheduled to start our rescue class on Dec. 22 in the afternoon. We're going to dive Blackrock that morning to 'warm up' and hopefully will be able to talk Tim (Kidspot) into diving with us, and maybe even having breakfast afterward. :D Our in-water portions of rescue will be Dec. 23-24 in the mornings, and I'd love to have you be my "victim", as long as you aren't a very large person. :blinking: In the meantime, I'm working out to lose some fat, get into better cardio condition, and will start weight lifting soon to build some muscle.

Let's just say I'm easy to handle in the water, but you will probably use someone else for the egress exercises. :D

It's worth noting that the Rescue course is more mentally demanding than it is physically demanding. Yes, you have to be able to walk out of the water with the victim on your back. Yes, you have to be able to tow them to shore. But it's remembering all the steps to do even before that starts that will have you challenged.

I don't really know where they're at. They're being very close mouthed about it since all 3 brothers work for an op on Maui and they don't want to be accused of violating their contracts by soliciting divers. Although we met the oldest brother a few years ago through that dive op, we consider him a friend now and always try to get together outside of diving when we're on island, as well as e-mailing during the year. Because I feel that we are friendly outside of our charters, I don't feel that they are soliciting us at all, but the dive op may not feel the same way. Since I don't want to jeopardize their jobs, I don't push for information.

Well, I hope they're successful. It seems some of the dive ops have gotten complacent (ERDA has definitely gone downhill since two years ago when I dove with them last; Maui Dive Shop seems to also be hit&miss). New blood often leads to lower prices and better service from everyone, so that can't be a bad thing!

KrisB:
Let's just say I'm easy to handle in the water, but you will probably use someone else for the egress exercises. :D

It's worth noting that the Rescue course is more mentally demanding than it is physically demanding. Yes, you have to be able to walk out of the water with the victim on your back. Yes, you have to be able to tow them to shore. But it's remembering all the steps to do even before that starts that will have you challenged.!

Let's hope I won't use my husband for the egress exercises....at 6'4" and 220#, he's a little big for me to carry. :wink: Wouldn't mind if there were a couple of other folks in our class to choose from. :D

Both of us were lifeguards/swim instructors when we were younger, and in going through the rescue book, there are more similarities than differences. We're hoping our many years of lifeguard training will kick in and help us get through rescue a little easier. One way or another, we're looking forward to a good time and to learning a lot.

KrisB:
Well, I hope they're successful. It seems some of the dive ops have gotten complacent (ERDA has definitely gone downhill since two years ago when I dove with them last; Maui Dive Shop seems to also be hit&miss). New blood often leads to lower prices and better service from everyone, so that can't be a bad thing!

Me too! I think that ops like ERDA don't have a lot of turnover in DMs, which is great for finding critters and dive briefings, but it's almost as if they get bored so look for other things to do....with those other things being to the detriment of the marinelife. They must also get tired of dealing with "vacation divers" all the time and having to cater to the lowest common demoninator on the boat (cruise ship divers are the worst according to my friend), but IMO none of this is an excuse to be less than 100% professional all the time.

DiveMaven

I enjoyed reading your dive log. I will be traveling to Maui in late June. I will also be staying in Ka’anapali Beach, but I will be further North staying at the Westin Time Shares... oh my bad "Vacation Ownership" is now the PC term.

I am planning on diving for the first time on Maui. If you would be so kind to PM me some names and numbers of the two dive operations you used. Also, if you would include a break down of dives you would never miss.

~Cheers~

P.S. If you haven’t already you need to take a trip on the Kona Aggressor. I dove that one week in March, 1997 when the comet Hale-Bop was at its peak. That trip was 9 years ago and it was so magnificent, I still talk story.

FyshEye:
DiveMaven

I enjoyed reading your dive log. I will be traveling to Maui in late June. I will also be staying in Ka’anapali Beach, but I will be further North staying at the Westin Time Shares... oh my bad "Vacation Ownership" is now the PC term.

I am planning on diving for the first time on Maui. If you would be so kind to PM me some names and numbers of the two dive operations you used. Also, if you would include a break down of dives you would never miss.

~Cheers~

P.S. If you haven’t already you need to take a trip on the Kona Aggressor. I dove that one week in March, 1997 when the comet Hale-Bop was at its peak. That trip was 9 years ago and it was so magnificent, I still talk story.
So you own a vacation? That's kinda nifty... how many uses before it's all worn out? :D

I just returned from Maui, as well, and would strongly recommend you see Cathedrals (off Lanai) -- you'll want to do that trip out of Lahaina for the shorter boat ride. :)

If you're in the Kihei area looking for rentals, training or a guide, give Maui Dreams Dive Co. a call ( http://www.mauidreamsdiveco.com/ )

I have heard a bit about the Kona Aggressor -- mostly that it visited the same dive sites that people were doing shore dives from... resulting in an overpriced vacation. Did you experience similar things?

Back
Top Bottom