Maui trip report end of Jan / beg of Feb 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just returned on Monday from Maui. Travel there was easy, provided you follow the instructions. We used Vault COVID testing, which sends you the test kit, then you log on to their site and have a Zoom meeting with a provider who watches you spit into a test tube, seal the tube and pack it up. you then drop it at UPS where they send it next-day to NJ. We tested Wednesday Morning (for a Saturday Flight), packages were delivered to the lab Thursday and all tests (we had 5 people going ) were completed and we had PDF's of the results by Friday morning. We uploaded our PDF's and then received an email with a QR code that would be scanned by agents at the airport in Hawaii. 24 hours prior to our flight we filled out a SIMPLE 5 question health quiz. I wanted to confirm that we were clear to go, so I called SafeTravels Hawaii and they checked my account, telling me that I was all set to not have to quarantine. Thhe way it was explained to me, once you get the QR code, you are good to go. Just make sure you have the QR code ready on your phone to show at the airport or print it out on a sheet of paper. If you are staying in a hotel, you will need to show the QR code as well at check in.

As for the diving, I think it's a blast. Tons of turtles, a variety of eels, frogfish, octopus and a wide variety of fish. Shore dives are a piece of cake. Mala Pier in Lahaina especially as you can pretty much count on seeing a ton of turtles and black tip reef sharks resting under the slabs from the fallen pier. P2100109.jpg P2100131.jpg P2100080.jpg

Timely report. Vaccinated and feeling a little better about travel, convinced my wife to give Maui a try over her birthday in May. No change fees help, staying at a family condo.

Used to go quite a bit more but not since 2012. Did a few shore dives and enjoyed them. Looking now reminded how expensive boat diving is there. Extended Horizons is $375 2 tank to cathedrals! I understand it’s due to fewer pax due to covid but.... 375. Ed Robinsons and Severns appears to be still typical Maui overpriced (for what it is). Would love to get a molokini and lanai trip in but that would cost more than our airfare from LAX (not kidding, lanai alone would bust it).

also curious as to why black rock one side to the other you’d want local knowledge. Seems it’s wall on left (or right as appropriate)?

Will look into that Facebook group, thanks

Is it possible to do shore diving in Maui without a car? Are tank rentals easily available right by the dive spots?

Will be there later this month / early March and would want to do some shore diving if it is right off the beach by hotels.

Also, were people diving solo? if it's a shallow dive, I'd just jump in by myself for a quick dive. (I know the risk of diving solo)

If it’s a cost thing there are a few ops that rent old beaters for like $150 or so a week, or even less. Bonus is your car not as likely to get broken into

I've done Molokini crater and it's not all that remarkable, in my opinion. The Back Wall apparently is a different story, but I haven't done it so I'll let others comment on it. Check around on prices to Lanai, the Cathedrals are worth it.

Black Rock could be done on one's own, but it's got a lot of current, you have to drop your gear/gear up at one spot and park in another, then get out at a different spot. Logistically a pain in the ass, easier when you have people who know the drill.

I've done Molokini crater and it's not all that remarkable, in my opinion. The Back Wall apparently is a different story, but I haven't done it so I'll let others comment on it. Check around on prices to Lanai, the Cathedrals are worth it.

Black Rock could be done on one's own, but it's got a lot of current, you have to drop your gear/gear up at one spot and park in another, then get out at a different spot. Logistically a pain in the ass, easier when you have people who know the drill.

The Back Wall of Molokini is worth the trip. Excellent topography, very clear water, typical reef critters with the potential for pelagics. Be sure you have your drift, deep diving and buoyancy skills up to snuff.

When I spent a week right next to Black Rock, I shore dived there solo almost every day. It was in the fall. I experienced little to no current and I had no problem entering and exiting from either the north or south side. Most of my dives, I entered and exited on the north side (because it was least crowded and closest to where I was staying).

Back wall has been voted one of the best or the best wall in the US. I think that says more about US wall diving than the dive itself. Done it a few times. It’s ok.

Regarding Molokini, did it 6 years ago. Loved the backside. Inside the crater, it was nice compared to the Puget Sound, but really I'd stick to just snorkeling there if I didn't dive.

When I did Black Rock, we parked by the Sheraton, walked north of Black Rock, and went in. Got out at the Sheraton and walked back. Logistically, it was simple, just a bit of walking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom