Maui Trip Report, and Big Shout to Shaka Doug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rostato

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just wanted to say thanks to Shaka Doug for some awesome shore dives in August.

We had never dove in the ocean before this, and we were obviously enthused about it. On top of that Doug was instrumental in making my underwater proposal to my now fiancé a success. :)

We dove at 5 Graves, and Ulua beach. Doug was very thorough in his pre dive brief, and was quick to point out all the interesting stuff. My fiancé was having a few equipment problems, and he was able to figure it out , and fix the issue without skipping a beat. We even got to see 2 frogfish, which were awesome!

We had a great time, and I only wish that we had time to dive some more spots with him.

We also dove Molokini with Lahaina Divers, and while it was really fun, and interesting, I thought it was very comparable to the shore diving. There was more volume of coral, and fish, but there wasn't anything at Molokini that we didn't see shore diving and snorkeling... So I kinda felt that we should have saved that money, and dove with Doug more. Also, our bottom times were CRAZY low due to their small tanks. I think our longest dive was 35 minutes, and most of that was assent, and safety stop.

As far as snorkeling goes we had a blast at Black Rock, Makena Landing, and Honolua Bay. Honolua Bay was by far our favorite snorkeling spot. We stayed in the water for over 3 hours, and we could have stayed even longer. At Honolua Bay alone, we saw 9 different turtles, 6 of which were hanging out in about 20 feet of water letting the convict tangs eat the algae off there shells. We had one special Turtle that hung around us for at least 15 minutes, and I was able to get some great pictures of it.

I can't wait to go back to Maui!

Doug, I didn't want to post the picture you took, while they are awesome, I wanted your permission first...

Here are some pics...

Molokini
DSC05322.jpg

Honolua Bay
DSC05490.jpg

DSC05507.jpg

We defiantly did. We also learned a lot on this trip, and I feel much more comfortable in the water now. By no means where I want to be, but I feel much more at ease, and felt that my buoyancy has gotten much better.

You will feel more comfortable in the water as you dive more and more, so just keep diving!

Glad you had a good trip! I agree that you can see almost all the major things you want to see by shore diving in Maui. The big reason for going out to Molokini, really, is when the surf is up and the visibility near shore is poor (and sometimes downright awful). Peter and I almost never boat dive there any more.

Glad you had a good trip! I agree that you can see almost all the major things you want to see by shore diving in Maui. The big reason for going out to Molokini, really, is when the surf is up and the visibility near shore is poor (and sometimes downright awful). Peter and I almost never boat dive there any more.

That I totally understand. The visibility had to be at least 200 feet at molokini vs about 45 on the shore dives. But, honestly 45 ft is plenty for me. The only thing we saw at molokini that I didn't see on the shore dives were the garden eels at reefs end. That was cool. By no means do I think I wasted money on the boat dives, I just wouldn't do it again in Maui unless the vis is bad like you said.

I plan on it. Now I just need to start saving money for the next dive. Maui was EXPENSIVE! lol

Also consider diving locally to develop your skills, you will enjoy your next trip more as all of your skills will have improved and you will get more time underwater. You have some local shore diving within reach: Fort Pickens Jetties in Pensacola, FL; Destin jetties in Destin, FL; St Andrew's Jetties in Panama City Beach, FL; Lake Jocassee Boat ramp at Devil's Fork State Park in Salem, SC; and Pelham Bluewater in Pelham, AL.

Yeah I plan on diving either pelham, or ginnnie springs again this month. I'll probably end up at Ginnie because its closer, and my buddies have not dove it yet. Pelham will take almost 4 hours for me...

By saving, I ment for local dives. I am un-employed, and going to school, so money is tight.

The visibility had to be at least 200 feet at molokini

That is what Lahaina Divers customers have been saying lately... :eyebrow:

Boat diving Lanai does mean diving sites that are different than most Maui shore dives. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom