Maui Trip Oct 20th - 27th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StacyT

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I had originally tried to line up diving with Shaka Doug. The timing didn't work out because he had planned to attend DEMA, so instead I hooked up with KrisB & Howard4113.

For diving I had decided to go ahead and upgrade my cert from OW to adventure diver through Howard4113. I had a small group and some of us were a bit rusty and they both worked with us and were very patient. We had some initial gear issues etc. I also ended up aborting my last dive do to a dive computer malfunction and we were a bit pressed for time so I told the group to go without me. I ended up not completing my adventure dive as I needed to complete 2 more skills, but the other 2 in my group did.

KrisB worked with my wife to get her comfortable with a new mask. Her mask strap broke and I had to give her a backup mask. It didn't have the built in purge and she was nervous about using it. KrisB helped her with that and they practiced some mask clearing before our intial dives.

The vis wasn't as good as it had been on prvious dives. It varied anywhere from 15-30 feet. Water temp seemed a bit cooler than usual as well. I didn't take any pics as I only had my regular underwater housing for my digital with no external strobe so pics didn't come out all that great. I know howard4113 took some and I am sure he'll post them later.

We dove 3 different sites old airport, mile marker 14, and the last site was a beach down in the Kihei area, I dont remember the name right now.

We saw several turtles, and lots of other reef fish. I was a bit disappointed that it seemed to have less fish than previous years. Not to many yellow tangs, I suspect this is from over collecting for the aquarium trade. I did see some other fish that I had never seen before though, so that is always cool.

There definatly was a lot of surge as well, maybe why the vis wasn't as good? Overall a good trip, and I am already starting to plan my return trip early next year.

I could also tell that the economy is taking a hit in Maui on tourism. For those that go there are good deals to be found. Our group of 4 did 4 dives, luau, Ulalena show and spent a total of about $3400 on this trip including air fair, rental SUV, meals, gas, and airport parking.

Edit: Also forgot to add that we used Pacific Dive for some rental gear. Great guys and will definatly be using them in the future. Helpfull in getting my fin straps repaired, I knew they were bad when I left but forgot to get them replaced. Both straps broke the 1st day I was there doing some snorkeling. Also worked with our schedule as we had one day in between diving that I was going to return the rental. They told me to sit on it and not worry about the extra day.

Stacy,
Had a blast diving with you guys. We'll try to have better conditions next time! Here are a few pix from our dive at Ulua.

Ulua Beach
beach.jpg

Moray
moray.jpg

Phyllidia
Phylidia.jpg

Puffer
puffer.jpg

Phyllidia
Phylidia1.jpg

Turtle
turtle.jpg

Debbi
Debbi.jpg

Terri
Terri.jpg

Terry
Terry.jpg

Ribbon fish?
ribbonfish.jpg

Turtle
turtle1.jpg

Slate Pencil Urchin
urchin.jpg

Tiger Cowry
cowry.jpg

Howard4113 thanks for posting those pics. Looks like they turned out really nice, much better than any that I took that trip.:) Maybe next time I need to take a photo class.:D

Thanks for all the help and the great pics! Ours never turn out that good! I definitely had some troubles on the 2nd day of diving but with your help and Kris's help I survived it. Overall it was still a good trip. Looking forward to going back early next year.

I like the look of Ulula beach. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the post on your trip. It has primed me for my trip the first two weeks of December. :banana:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom