Maui referral dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for the info. Sorry for splitting threads, but I was not getting any info by posting to a thread fromm 2007. I'm new to scuba board and aplogize for the mistake. Won't happen again. I have spoken to our dive shop here and they were not super helpful with information, but suggested that we just look for a 5 star padi IDC, what is the difference between 5 star and just a PADI dive center?? Obviously they have to meet certian criteria, just wondering what the 5 stars actually mean?

I've always heard that the "rankings" by PADI (5 star, gold palm, etc) have to do with number of certifications. If that is the case, I'd suppose a 5 star IDC shop means they certify a lot of instructors. I tend not to pay attention to these rankings since I feel that pumping out certifications isn't automatically a sign of quality.

Unfortunately, Newmanl's experience with Maui Dreams dropping the ball on classes isn't the first time that's been discussed here, so if it were me, I'd look for someone who will confirm a time and date with me. In Kihei Shaka Doug would be my first choice, based mostly on reputation as well as his flexibility since he is "it" with his operation. B&B also gets a strong nod here for instruction. I don't have experience with either, so am not speaking from first hand experience, just sharing what I would probably do.

Thank you all for the info. Sorry for splitting threads, but I was not getting any info by posting to a thread fromm 2007. I'm new to scuba board and aplogize for the mistake. Won't happen again. I have spoken to our dive shop here and they were not super helpful with information, but suggested that we just look for a 5 star padi IDC, what is the difference between 5 star and just a PADI dive center?? Obviously they have to meet certian criteria, just wondering what the 5 stars actually mean?

I've always heard that the "rankings" by PADI (5 star, gold palm, etc) have to do with number of certifications. If that is the case, I'd suppose a 5 star IDC shop means they certify a lot of instructors. I tend not to pay attention to these rankings since I feel that pumping out certifications isn't automatically a sign of quality.

The standards for being a PADI 5-Star (and 5-Star IDC) have to do with a proven track record of various levels of instruction. It is likely Doug has certified more than enough students to meet the 5-Star standard of certification... but the absence of a bricks & mortar storefront make securing it impossible for him.

A PADI 5-Star IDC is approved by PADI to offer all levels of training right through instructor courses, as they have shown themselves to be consistent in teaching all levels of PADI courses, have a bricks & mortar storefront, present a professional image and commit to regular air testing. It also means they have avoided significant quality management issues, at least in recent history.

It also means that through all levels of recreational diving, they only offer PADI certifications, except (if the shop chooses) when dealing with a non-PADI referral.

It is *possible* that B&B meets those standards (other than the exclusivity) as well, though they haven't sought upgrading of their PADI shop level.

Hilary: it's funny that you mention not having experience with these groups -- I seem to remember you taking a Rescue course at Maui Dreams and being pretty pleased with the level of instruction (though your boat-diving full-foot fins gave you grief as with shore diving, booties are much nicer) :D

Kris, you're 100% correct that we did our rescue with Maui Dreams and had a GREAT experience!!! No question we got top notch training and I would recommend Teri as an instructor. Actually, we didn't have full foot fins, we had open heel fins that we didn't wear booties with. Still prefer to dive that way, but after going to Bonaire twice and being forced to wear booties, my new fins are too big for me to go bare foot in, so I'm a bootie wearer now. :wink:

I do believe that in these economic times that it's double important to confirm and reconfirm that you're scheduled for classes on certain days if you need them. Unfortunately too many folks are being forced even more to work second (or third) jobs to make ends meet since diving may not be busy enough to pay the bills. I think that's one advantage of going with Shaka Doug...he IS his business and when you schedule with him, it is with HIM, not another instructor.

What I meant was that I didn't have any first hand experience with B&B or Shaka Doug.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom