Maui referral dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

odywithaj

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

Hubby and I will be in Maui in early Oct., looking to get PADI certified, have done all the pool and bookwork at home. (Calgary, AB) Just wondering if the ops info in this thread is still current for 2009? Any help in picking an instructor would be great !!

Thanks

Hi,

Hubby and I will be in Maui in early Oct., looking to get PADI certified, have done all the pool and bookwork at home. (Calgary, AB) Just wondering if the ops info in this thread is still current for 2009? Any help in picking an instructor would be great !!

Thanks
I'd recommend Maui Dreams Dive Co. -- the only PADI 5-Star IDC on Maui.

If you were looking at the end of Oct/beginning of Nov, I'd love to take you diving while I'm on Maui for a vacation... :D

Hey thanks for the info...

We'll be there in the beginning of Oct... too bad :(

Choice of a dive operation depends on where you are staying. If in the Kihei/Wailea area, then Maui dreams would be my choice. If in the Lahaina/Kaanapali area, I would recommend Pacific Dive. Either one of these shops will treat you well.

I'd say that if you're staying in the Lahaina/Kaanapali area (or north), Lahaina Divers is a good choice as well.

My two sons were certified by Doug with Shaka Divers. Like you, they did the classes and pool dives at home, then did the cert dives in Maui. Doug is a PADI instructor and works out of Kihei and is a very safe, conscientious diver. We have returned several times since then and always do our first dives of the vacation with Doug. And we always have a great time!

Doug is on ScubaBoard as ShakaDoug.

Enjoy your time in Maui.

Steve

I second and third the suggestion for Shaka Doug. If you spend some time looking through prior posts here you will see that Shaka Doug get's positive post after positive post. Certification is such an important time to ensure not just a fun time - but also thorough proper training. I have always heard this is exactly what to expect from Doug.

I'm sure you will have a blast diving Maui. Hope your vacation is wonderful.
A

B & B Scuba is a great choice if you are in the Kihei area. They offer Molokini, shore diving, all the things you would need to certify. I used them and they were great. I told them when and they accomodated my schedule. I had one other diver in my class and an instructor in training plus the instructor. They were reasonably priced, offered any gear you may need and I had a great time.

Check out their website.
Maui Hawaii Scuba Charters to Molokini, PADI dive lessons, guided shore dives, scuba rentals, scuba equipment

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Last August my wife needed/wanted to do the same thing - do her open water dives on Maui as a referral. We initially picked Maui Dreams and made a "booking" two months in advance for her dives at the begining of our 10 days there.

For some reason, my wife called them again to confirm literally hours before we were to leave for the airport. To our surprise, they had not made/completed the reservation and not booked an instructor! They suggested we drop by once we got to Maui and that they were going to try to figure something out. I'm an experienced diver - I don't leave stuff to chance. So I immediately hit the web to find an alternative and called Doug (ShakaDoug), left a message on his voicemail and continued to hunt for options. Soon after I left the message Doug called me back - he was on vacation on the mainland (Arizona, I think) and apologized for not being available, but offered up B&B as an alternative. I thought that was amazing courtesy and professionalism and think he's a credit to the dive and tourism industry on Maui. I called B&B and set it up - they were happy to have her!

Once we got to Maui we first checked in with Maui Dreams, as they had asked, just in case - their response was "Sorry, we might be able to do it on Friday" - that would be near the end of our time there and too late to enjoy the week as a dive vacation. Anyway, we then went to B&B and they were only to happy to help us out - with literally less than 24 hours notice! My wife got certified with the careful and capable crew at B&B and we spent the rest of the week enjoying some of our best diving we have had to date.

Given our experience, I'd go with ShakaDoug or B&B, two great outfits!

Lee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom