Maui Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pamdiv

Contributor
Reaction score
Central California, until I retire then it's somew
# of dives
500 - 999
Aloha!

Heading for Maui the week after Thanksgiving and I can hardly wait! Is my 3mm warm enough or do I need to pack my 7mm wetsuit? Who can provide the best guided shore dive? and what dive operator should I seek out for a Molokini back wall dive? What are my chances of sighting a whale or two that early in the season? Thanks, friends, or should I say mahalo!

Pam

As far as the wet suit is concerned, 3mm is the better of the two, but I prefer 5mm. For your other Q's, some details of your stay and what you expect from a shore site and guide would fuel the discussion.

I agree that I prefer a 5mm full suit diving on Maui, but of your choices, the 3mm is fine. If you have a vest you can layer or a beanie, you might consider taking that along just in case you feel chilled.

For boat diving, most folks (me included) will recommend you get a charter out of Kihei. The three most recommended are Mike Severns, B&B, and Ed Robinsons. There are folks around here who have strong opinions about the different operators, but IMO you won't go wrong with any of these three. For a Lanai charter (and I'd recommend you try to dive Lanai), Extended Horizons out of Lahaina is the recommended operator around here.

For shore diving in Kihei, Maui Dreams and Shaka Doug get the nod. Around Lahaina, Pacific Dive is a good choice. There are also some locals on the board you may be able to hook up with for a shore dive or two, so hopefully they'll pipe up and offer to buddy with you.

Water temp will probably be 78-80* about that time, so you can decide if a 3mil is enough or not.

I'd second DiveMaven's recommendations - all good ops, both boat and shore.

If I'm free maybe we can do a shore dive up north as well, just drop me a PM before your trip with the days you are free.

Aloha, Tim

I second Ed Robinsons and Mike Severns. I always heard good things about B&B but I have never used them. For shore diving I would talk to the folks at Maui Dreams if you are staying in Kihei. I've never used a guide to shore dive so I can't recommend an individual guide. I go to Maui every year and I've always had great experiences with the folks mentioned above.

Doug always shows his divers a great time. A few of my friends have used Doug as a guide and they've been very happy. Word has it that he is an excellent instructor also.

These days I only go out with B&B. My favorite dive op anywhere.

1. the finest shore-diving guide is Kidspot, hands-down. Hook up with him, and anybody else from this board that wants to meet. Great times.
2. The finest dive op is B and B, although the back wall is not a guarantee on any of the charters due to conditions and experience of the other divers on the boat. But there's a good shot if you promise Brad and Blesi that you won't start singing the "Vonage" song (woo-HOO woo-HOO HOO) if they take you to the back wall (Tell them Brian from Phoenix asked if they doing okay, yeah). Use their tanks for the shore dives.
Edited to add: bring a hooded vest (3mil) along with the 3 mil and you'll be plenty toast. I don't know about the whales, I'm just a visitor.
Kidspot, I'm still coming in June, with my kids. Love to hook up for some shore dives if you don't mind a gaggle!

Wow, guys, thanks for all the good info. I'm one of those folks that creates their own heat so I'm a-thinkin' the 3mm and lycra will work for me in 78-80 degree, thanks kidspot. (Look for my PM in the near future). I am so jazzed about this trip. We will only have 3 days to dive and I am hoping that we can see some great stuff and get awesome photos.

Pam

I've done a few dives with Kidspot and he's a great guide. I also live and dive here on maui and I use a 3mm suit. Around this time of year I also use a long sleeve rash guard for additional comfort. You know the type surfers use. There very thin and the extra layer does me fine. I have a slim build and weight 150lbs. That hopefully will shed some light for you. Aloha

Back
Top Bottom