Maui Parks Department is after us again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That sucks about the parking. If they want to control partying, they need to control it from the aspect of people on the beach, not vehicles parked. they need to get smarter about what they are doing.

halemanō;5224022:
Many Dive Pro's and their customers are probably not following all the rules, even the ones working under valid permits.

You don't seem to intend harm to the victims of the laws and regulations that Maui County is impossing but I think the assumption and statement above is a harmful exageration.

There was no enforcement of the previous two sets of rules and there is no enforcement of the current set of rules. I dive many of the County Beach Parks, as well as non-County Beach Parks, and I see plenty of violations. I am not saying the rules are good rules but there are a lot of rules and they are very hard to follow completely.

For example, a couple rules that have been in every incarnation are no solicitation and no accepting payment at Beach Parks and a new one concerns the number of customer vehicles parking in Beach Park parking lots. How many working Dive Pro's have not violated those rules at some point?

Is the lot gated after 8pm - or just no parking? If you have access to the circle, you could drop gear and park at the shops - then pick up after the dive. I've done that when the lot was full.

Mark

Is the lot gated after 8pm - or just no parking? If you have access to the circle, you could drop gear and park at the shops - then pick up after the dive. I've done that when the lot was full.

Mark

We could do that Howard. And may have to resort to that for a while. Do you see a safety issue with that though? I'm not comfortable with that. First Aid, cell phone and O2 is 20 minutes RUN away. Could anyone you know run that far in a wetsuit and booties and make it back and be in shape to perform a rescue? (I guess you could drive back but I know I'd be burning rubber in the bus....) I guess we could leave those valuables on the beach somewhere but come on. What are they thinking? What's so bad about night diving?? It's not like we're hogging the parking lot or having a keg party and a bonfire!!

At the recent CORA class we are required to attend the most important message they gave us was this:

We are all in the same canoe. We need to help each other and work together. Otherwise we will all suffer. Let's all get along.
That's double talk or two faced or lieing or misinformation or something but it's not them talking the talk and walking the walk if you ask me.

I'm getting tee shirts made with this design. Anyone want one? Let me know.

5060_1158205988854_1038890729_472974_2817434_n.jpg

Oh yeah, and please vote for Alan Arakawa in the next election.

Alan Arakawa for Mayor in 2010

Thank you very much!

Re the parking ticket -- sucks BIG time. Last time (?) we were there, we talked with the cops (perhaps local security?) regarding the sign saying had to be gone by 8 p.m. and night diving. I was told that this was to limit the beach partying but wouldn't effect people diving -- RIGHT!

Yet one more reason for me not to bother bringing my gear and diving Maui any more when I come to visit my dad.
It seams that the parking law is not being used as it was originally intended

I hope you can get it changed .. maybe close it at 10PM in the summer? .. that would still restrict the late night beach partying and still allow night diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom