Maui or Oahu?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ExpAAt05

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going to take advantage of low fares and have a quick escape for 2-3 days to HI to dive next month (I know - that's a lot of air time for little bottom time, but you do what you can..).

Is Maui or Oahu a better spot? I've been to both islands, so I know what they are like topside, but never went diving there. I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere on this board, but I couldn't find a good thread.

Thanks

Last edited:
Having dove both islands, it is a little like asking if you like the red drapes or the blue - they are both fantastic. Maui does have the Molokini back wall dive and the humpback whales, so I give it a slight nod (that and my son lives there).

based upon the number of dive site reviews here on Scubaboard (not any experience with Oahu really) I'd say that Maui has more shore diving spots - but both have similar numbers of boat sites. There is more of a focus on Oahu on the wrecks (which Maui doesn't really have) - so ... what kind of diving do you want to do? - btw just my opinion and impressions so far... now it's time to do some diving on Oahu and see what is really going on underwater here :)

Aloha, Tim

Having dove both islands, it is a little like asking if you like the red drapes or the blue - they are both fantastic.

That's what I thought - both great. I think I'm going to head to Maui this time (gonna do some boat diving).

I know that there are tons of threads on this, but anyone recommend a favorite dive shop? (I will probably stay in the Lahaina area).

Thanks everyone for the tips.

We have dived both islands. IMO, Maui has better diving. We were there for 14 days and never tired of Molokini.

In Lahaina I'd go to Pacific Dive - especially for shore diving. For boat diving in the Lahaina/Lanai area I'd contact Extended horizons (not a shop, but good boat op)

If you want to do some diving down in the Kihei area, contact Shaka Doug Welcome to SHAKA DIVERS Web Site! for shore diving or B&B Scuba for Boat diving

lots of other good choices, but those are my opinions :)

Aloha, Tim

Is Dive and Sea Maui still in business? We were on their boats for the 14 days of diving with Capt Ron and Bill

I just got back from Oahu and had some fantastic dives! Tons of turtles and we saw humpbacks from the boat and could hear them underwater the entire time. I don't know about Maui, but on Oahu, I'd recommend Island Divers Hawai

Thanks everyone. Booked my dives with Extended Horizons, who seem to get lots of good reviews on this board and also a friend of mine who dove with them recently gave them the nod. I'll report back afterwards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom