Maui or Kona???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thresa

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am trying to plan a trip to Hawaii in August and am wondering what the difference underwater is between the two islands. Are you more likely to see large marine life in one versus the other, more likely to see turtles, dolphins, etc???? Are the reefs and fish life in better shape in either island? Wish I had time for both islands but I don't. I know Kona has the Mantas which would be incredible to see. I would greatly appreciate advice on the differences between diving the two islands.

I can't comment on the big island having only been to Maui several times. I can't think of a dive that I haven't seen turtles either boat or shore diving. White tips are very common too. Saw dolphins between dives the last time I was there. Manta and eagle rays on several dives too. Lots of eels,reef fish, octopus, frog fish, and different nudibranchs, on most dives. Just go slow and you will see lots. No whales at that time of year. You'll have a great time wherever you decide to go. Have fun.

I'm partial to Kona, but I've done a limited amount of diving on Maui too and it's got some good things. I like the ends of Molokini, nice currents with sharks the times I've been there. I've liked the diving on Lanai, it's a lot like Kona's southern sites structure-wize. In both cases I felt the coral cover didn't match the reefs in Kona. The near shore Maui diving I've done (only 3-4 dives - red hill, the tank, old airport and another) was unspectacular.

So keeping in mind my Maui experiences are limited, I'll try to make a comparison.

Maui: More (and bigger) turtles. Potential for more sharks. Nice fish. Decent reef. OK viz. Long and potentially rough (tradewinds made for pounding on the way back every dive I've ever done there, don't know how often that's the case) boat ride.

Kona: More and healthier reef. Nice fish. Lots of good sites with shorter rides (unless taking medium-long range trips) with all day diving most days (tradewinds blocked by nearby volcanoes). Better viz nearshore. Deep water and shallow water at nearly every dive site. The manta dive.

As far as seeing dolphins and large life underwater, to some extent it's kind of random chance. Not sure about Maui, but Kona has one spot that divers have a good shot at dolphins 2-3 days a week, and a couple spots that dolphin sightings are not totally unexpected because they're on drop offs the dolphin pods pass near shore.... it's still no guarantee. The other day we scored a trifecta of sorts on one dive... Whaleshark, manta ray, and dolphins next to the divers on one dive - rare, could happen anywhere in Hawaii. Manta sightings during the day are not uncommon in Kona.

Both islands have good diving, it'll be tough to go wrong.

I've had the great fortune to dive both islands and am partial to Kona only because I have dove there several times. Having said that, frankly, you can't go wrong with either.

Stuart told you about all the great sights he's seen on Maui and I can assure you, you'll have the identical experience on the BI.

If I were you, I'd plan the vacation based on your wants/needs OUT of the water. The underwater experience in either case, will be exceptional.

Enjoy your trip.

I can't comment on the big island having only been to Maui several times. I can't think of a dive that I haven't seen turtles either boat or shore diving. White tips are very common too. Saw dolphins between dives the last time I was there. Manta and eagle rays on several dives too. Lots of eels,reef fish, octopus, frog fish, and different nudibranchs, on most dives. Just go slow and you will see lots. No whales at that time of year. You'll have a great time wherever you decide to go. Have fun.

I am a big fan of full disclosure, so let's not go overboard with Maui wildlife expectations. Turtles are rarely seen at Molokini, Lanai and Molokai. Turtles are nearly guaranteed on shore dives and boat dives along the Maui Coast, except perhaps the Carthaginian artificial wreck. Eagle rays might be seen on 30% of those same shore and near coast dives, but more likely on the Carthaginian. Manta rays are only around 20% probable, unless you make dives "timed" to see mantas.

A good guide can increase your percentages :)

PS - there are very few divers with equal experience in both islands that would claim the experiences will be identical. :idk:

halemanō;5296424:
PS - there are very few divers with equal experience in both islands that would claim the experiences will be identical. :idk:
Guess I'm one of the "few"...I always knew I was. :D

I think anyone who doesn't live there and done less than say, 50 dives on either Island would be VERY hard pressed to the say there's significant difference between the two. And anyone who's diving the Islands for the first time would have a great experience on either Maui or the Big Island.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and for all of the advice. Still a tough decision. I love to see turtles, but better visibility and smoother boat rides are definitely a plus. Wish I could have been on the dive when the whale shark, dolphin, and manta ray were spotted, what an awesome experience that must have been.

I think anyone who doesn't live there and done less than say, 50 dives on either Island would be VERY hard pressed to the say there's significant difference between the two.
There's no ground water on the Kona side of the BI, so vis tends to be better near shore than on Maui. Personally, I found shore diving Kona to be far superior to boat dives I've done on Maui.

Are the shore dives on Kona fairly predictable and safe for intermediate divers to do without a guide? My husband and I have dove Bonaire and Curacao multiple times with no guide and are hoping we will be able to do the same on our Hawaii trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom