Maui or Kona???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure if "Lets go shore dive'n" is still in print. It used to be on the web for free but the link's dead these days. It still might be available in print.

I see mentions of rock entries in Kona, but frankly they're just not that bad. Compared to the rock entries we did back on the Oregon coast they're a piece of cake. You can go to the Place of Refuge, walk across 120 feet or so of flat lava, find the entry, sit down and gear up and do 1 step and you're in 4-6 feet of water in actual reef... fish right there...two kicks and you're out of other peoples way and diving, nothing could be easier in my mind. Other entries will be more "difficult" but compared to walking out on sand and having to kick quite a ways to see anything (sand usually equates to few fish), it's not really all that difficult as long as you avoid getting in where it's facing the swell.

Shorediving.com is still a pretty good reference, no maps though. The shops are usually pretty good for info on entry points and such.

Nice photos.....looking forward to my trip to Kona in November....bubbles up!:D

Are the shore dives on Kona fairly predictable and safe for intermediate divers to do without a guide? My husband and I have dove Bonaire and Curacao multiple times with no guide and are hoping we will be able to do the same on our Hawaii trip.
Yes, but finding the dive sites can be a challenge.

That is true. Many of the spots are not marked off the highway.
Koloko fish ponds is a great spot, especially for the migratory fish. Last winter I was lucky enough to see dolphins and turtles on both dives at the "ponds". Its hard to find but an LDS should be able to help (Bottom Time staff are friendly and very knowledgeable).
The great thing about Kona is that while you drive in circles looking for the spots, gazing at the beauty and rawness of the island cannot be beat!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom