Maui & Oahu Insider's Guide - The Maui Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Pat two of my grey matter investigation; A recent big dive rag (mag) has a feature article titled Maui & Oahu Insider's Guide in their May issue, leading me to wonder:

The first section of the Maui article is titled Turtle Reef, and claims "The barrier reef known as Turtle Reef is actually broken up into well over a dozen dive sites from Honolua Bay to Thousand Peaks (sic)", going on to state "this is the side of the Maui to dive if you absolutely, positively encounter a honu." In the next paragraph, a claim of 25% endemic reef species seems low from what I've read?

Here's another sentence that confuses me; "shallow enough that the limiting factor on your dives is almost certain to be time rather than air (sic)", I guess since most West Side operators call the shallow dives after only 45 minutes? Next Paragraph starts, "Virtually all the sites on this side of the Island can be dove from shore". As this is insider info for vacation divers, is this really true?

In the "barrier Turtle Reef" section, Black Rock is described as "bottoming out at 20 feet" and includes this teaser; "a cavern in the rock adds an interesting dimension". Is there more than a small hole for a couple turtles at Black Rock?

When talking about Olowalu Beach, "you may see a passing sand tiger shark as well," seems a pretty false statement to me, but I rarely dive Olowalu. I guess I need some education there as well.

On the South Side, the article claims "Ahihi Bay is currently closed, as a reef recovery process, but will reopen in 2010." I waste a good portion of my day reading the news and I evidently did not comprehend the news as this author did??

"Some, like the fun-to-explore Five Caves, have rocky entries that will probably have you and your buddy entering arm-in-arm." No mention of Makena Landing as an alternate entry??

The last site in the South Shore section is "Dragon Reef" which is evidently a 70' shore dive on the back road to Hana. Is this really a site that should recommended to non-guided tourist shore divers?

For the North Shore, the recommendation is "Hidden Pinnacle", stating "you should go with a PADI Pro". I'm sure NSE are so proud to be known as PADI Pro's!

Other than a typo in the Lanai section (Off Maui's south shore...), and calling the water in Molokini "a tropically warm bowl" and "the best vis in the State" (I would say among the best), Those are the questionable parts in my eyes.

What say the Maui O'hana? Am I overly critical of the fact that I've never read a dive article about Hawaii that does not have numerous discrepancies? :coffee:

Okay, we don't live on Maui but come yearly to play and dive.....but we thought the article was a bunch of hooey. It read like someone who has never been to Maui to dive wrote it and hadn't a clue what they were talking about.

I agree.. I thought the article was written maybe by an intern over there at the mag? Going off someone elses notes maybe? I had to laugh when I saw "sand tiger sharks occasionally" part ! Oh well, it was a snoozer issue anyway...

The first section of the Maui article is titled Turtle Reef, and claims "The barrier reef known as Turtle Reef is actually broken up into well over a dozen dive sites from Honolua Bay to Thousand Peaks (sic)", going on to state "this is the side of the Maui to dive if you absolutely, positively encounter a honu."

And what braniac decided to make this end at Thousand Peaks? For all the Maalaea charters, Turtle Town extends from Wailea Point all the way south to Red Hill...

In the next paragraph, a claim of 25% endemic reef species seems low from what I've read?

Hoover reports 25% in Hawaii's Fishes, p.8 and Randall says 24.3% in Shore Fishes. So that might not be too far off.

Here's another sentence that confuses me; "shallow enough that the limiting factor on your dives is almost certain to be time rather than air (sic)", I guess since most West Side operators call the shallow dives after only 45 minutes? Next Paragraph starts, "Virtually all the sites on this side of the Island can be dove from shore". As this is insider info for vacation divers, is this really true?

That sentence is backwards. You'll run out of air long before you run out of bottom time!

I think the *popular* sites can probably be enjoyed (though not to the fullest extend possible) from shore... especially if you've visited them from a boat.

When talking about Olowalu Beach, "you may see a passing sand tiger shark as well," seems a pretty false statement to me, but I rarely dive Olowalu. I guess I need some education there as well.

I think you might see a *tiger* shark... but from what Sharks and Rays of Hawaii has to say about *sand tiger* sharks... pretty unlikely.

Of course, it depends on where in Olowalu you dive -- the rumour is that if you're standing at the MM 14 entry, and look to your right, there's a tiger shark nursery around that point somewhere. Of course, this rumour is further helped by the "Warning: sharks may be present" sign at the MM 14 entry.

On the South Side, the article claims "Ahihi Bay is currently closed, as a reef recovery process, but will reopen in 2010." I waste a good portion of my day reading the news and I evidently did not comprehend the news as this author did??

They were probably going on this (or similar) article that was a "plans to close..." thinking it would have happened by now. :)

State plans to close Maui's Ahihi-Kinau reserve - The Honolulu Advertiser - Hawaii's Newspaper

"Some, like the fun-to-explore Five Caves, have rocky entries that will probably have you and your buddy entering arm-in-arm." No mention of Makena Landing as an alternate entry??

Of course not. That would limit the amount of business generated for PADI Pro's! :D

The last site in the South Shore section is "Dragon Reef" which is evidently a 70' shore dive on the back road to Hana. Is this really a site that should recommended to non-guided tourist shore divers?

I guess one hopes that they would see that it's not an easy to find / do site and would hire a local guide that knows that site... but who knows. I think they're going to have trouble finding it at very least...

Remember -- the magazine in question isn't a guidebook, it's a marketing machine. They don't tell you where to find (or where to go once there) these sites... just that they exist and a ballpark idea of where it is.

For the North Shore, the recommendation is "Hidden Pinnacle", stating "you should go with a PADI Pro". I'm sure NSE are so proud to be known as PADI Pro's!

Haha... then again, you never know! They almost certainly would have been consulted for the author to know about that particular site, no?

Am I overly critical of the fact that I've never read a dive article about Hawaii that does not have numerous discrepancies? :coffee:

Probably not... since there is a plethora of good information to be had, it really boils down to laziness on the part of the author.

Another funny thing about the Dragon Reef issue; since the earthquake (Oct. '06) the road around Haleakala has been and is still closed, so you will have to stay on the backside of Haleakala until you have decompressed enough for a drive to over 3000' elevation. :confused:

Haha... then again, you never know! They almost certainly would have been consulted for the author to know about that particular site, no?

Funny, we just dove Bell's Rock, aka Hidden Pinnacle today. First, we know it as Bell's Rock, this name was told to us by lifetime Maui residents and divers.
We don't know how they heard about the site, no one talked to us, and as this is definitely not a shore dive and we are the only one's who can take you there, I guess that would make us the aforementioned (proud) PADI Pro's.
FYI-it is a wonderful dive, got good video today that we will probably post on our website soon.

Another funny thing about the Dragon Reef issue; since the earthquake (Oct. '06) the road around Haleakala has been and is still closed, so you will have to stay on the backside of Haleakala until you have decompressed enough for a drive to over 3000' elevation. :confused:
That is a very good point! Perhaps this author's map also had the "King's Highway" that extends from La Perouse down to connect with the Hana Hwy as being available. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom