Maui Normoxic Trimix Class Final Dive Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSeanMaui

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Tim, Stan, and I took the IANTD Normoxic Trimix class with Brad from BBscuba.com over the past few months. It was lots of starting and stopping due to colds, away missions, and boat availability. Due to Prodiver's engine problem we weren't able to use the NSE's boat for the bomber dive (dang!) so we'll have to try that in the fall (I really hope we can!) We ended up doing some Reef's End and En'e Nu'i dives (Molokini) for the entire class which was quite nice! One our deep Reef's End dive we were at 200 feet and could see a very large manta who was cruising over the sand at the bottom of the slope.. We watched him a bit and saw a few small White Tips cruise by... For our final dive at En'e Nu'i we saw a few large White Tips at about 180' which were scarred off by our noises and a Manta Ray who was swimming way above us at about 40 feet. I got a distant shot but I didn't go after him since we were doing the dive! :) We then did our skills and then came up the slope passing by the nice coral head at 110' and eventually made our way up to the boat after our gas switch and long deco stop.

Here are a few photos and a link to my blog:

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

More photos at my blog:

Re: Final Normoxic Trimix Class Dive: Molokini Crater - Scuba Diving and Underwater Photography

Comments appreciated but please be nice!! :)

Sean

hmmm....where is the single AL80? :)

Nice job, now convince brad that he needs to go to the bomber...we'll come over and play with ya :)

Well in was 'clear' that is for certain.

The BEST part is now that we are done I can sling the stages on the left again and bust out the scooter :D (plus use an END of 60ft if I want :wink: )

Thanks for sharing the pictures Sean - I was amazed at the water clarity, especially considering the sun had barely risen (6:30-6:45 when you took those photos?)

The BEST part is now that we are done I can sling the stages on the left again and bust out the scooter :D (plus use an END of 60ft if I want :wink: )

Thanks for sharing the pictures Sean - I was amazed at the water clarity, especially considering the sun had barely risen (6:30-6:45 when you took those photos?)

:) lol

It IS really weird to see people with their bottles on the right. It's like snorkels -- I'm just not used to seeing that in pictures.

Thanks everyone! I did a rebreather dive a week later with Brad which had some pretty cool shark photos we saw during our dive... I'll post those soon! Tim, later in the dive the sun was up so we did have some ambient light as we did our deco... Shooting up, ISO 200, with a wide aperture and slower shutter speed helped get all that light!!

Sean

Today I celebrated by removing the right hip D-Ring on my [once again] Hog rig ... SUCH a relief :wink: I have gained some real insight into how the right side bottle affects other things though. For instance, most rebreathers keep the O2 bottle on the Right hand side as well. I've learned that traditionally the deco bottle is on the right hand side (GUE and some NAUI tec divers being the exception) This means if I see a diver carrying bottles on both sides (frequently they may be marked only on pieces of tape, not in large MOD labels like you're used to seeing by GUE standards) I know which one is more likely to be needed on each deco stop (I greatly prefer the certainty that clear, large MOD markings provide)

The hardest part was learning to do all my bottle work right handed and remembering to do a modified S-drill whenever I messed with the bottle to be sure my longhose was deployable.

All in all I really must send a huge MAHALO to Brad at B&B for introducing me to the "other" side of the tech world. Definitely turned out to be a good learning experience. He and Blesi have treated me like one of the family on their boat - What a blessing they have been in my diving :)

Aloha, Tim

Thanks everyone! I did a rebreather dive a week later with Brad which had some pretty cool shark photos we saw during our dive... I'll post those soon! Tim, later in the dive the sun was up so we did have some ambient light as we did our deco... Shooting up, ISO 200, with a wide aperture and slower shutter speed helped get all that light!!

Sean

I am really looking forward to my first rebreather dive ... later this week hopefully :D

Thanks again for keeping a photo record of these dives Sean. They are about the only way my non-diving family can share in the joy I find at depth.

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom