Maui late Aug and early Sept?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anything - pro or con - I should know when planning a potential trip to Maui last week of August and first week of Sept.

Appreciate any thoughts or insights folks might have.

Ray

I'm tagging along on this because we are considering Maui for the first time in mid Sept. Either that or go to Coz for our second trip there, but not so sure due to hurricanes.

My wife and I were there in October. We are new divers but were really satisfied with Lahaina Divers. Their boats are the biggest on the island i believe. They leave right out of the harbor there in dowtown Lahaina and will offer you any dive trip available. We dove Molokini and Lanai. The Crater (Molokini) was amazing. Tons of fish, even frog fish. A few sharks and plenty to keep your attention. An even better dive is the Lanai dive. We hit the Cathedrals and Monolith. The Cathedrals have a "cave" feel and has some black coral (that is actual white) called the Chandelier. Absolutely breath taking. The Monolith is a conical shaped dive that has surges and current. Was a new experience for us to wait for the surge to start kicking. It would wear you out trying to kick against it. Still had plenty to see. They have quite a few spots to hit depending on weather, viz etc.

If youre lucky you will run into the pod of 400 spinner dolphins that call Lanai home. Fortunately we were lucky enough to see them!! Wathcing them was as cool as the dives themselves. The captain killed the boat and just hung out to watch and take pictures. So coool!!! When we headed back to Maui they followed us quite a ways playing in our wake!! Cant say enough about the trip.

The boat was a little on the crowded side. A full boat is 24 people but the boats can more then handle that many people. Never felt like there wasnt a place to sit or move about. The crew was awesome as well. Knew there stuff when it came to wildlife and were more then accomodating in staging our gear. They werent all over you to stay to "close" and let you finish your tank off if you had air. Everyone got out as their air allowed.

Anyways I dont have much to compare to but I will definately use them when we head back there. I would like to try Ed Robinson though. Have heard great things about his op as well.

Just my .02 but hope it helps.

I have been going to Maui every year since 1997. I have always been very satisfied with Lahaina Divers. They are very professional and careful. I highly recommend them. Their boats are always well maintained and their crews are very helpful. I always stay at Kaanapali Beach and Lahaina Divers is close and e3asy to get to for me. Give them a try. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks - should have mentioned that I've been to Hawaii four times already including two trips to Maui. Have use Lahaina divers previously, especially to Lanai.

Was wondering if there was anything weather-wise, or going on wise we should know about. Will likely be staying at Grand Wailea. Not sure about dive ops in that area. Also, any shore diving right at the resort or nearby?

Ray

Wailea point shore dive is right off the beach in front of the hotel to the left. Ulua just a bit North, and 5 graves a short drive south. I wear a full 3mm with booties and never got cold even on 90 min dives. You are also a 5 min drive to the Kihei boat launch where a lot of the charters deprart from.

Nice digs you chose to stay at. Have a great time. 3 of us will be there Sept 7-14 doing tons of dives if you are still there and want to buddy up. We will be at the palms just north of your hotel.

Stuart

Wailea point shore dive is right off the beach in front of the hotel to the left. Ulua just a bit North, and 5 graves a short drive south. I wear a full 3mm with booties and never got cold even on 90 min dives. You are also a 5 min drive to the Kihei boat launch where a lot of the charters deprart from.

Nice digs you chose to stay at. Have a great time. 3 of us will be there Sept 7-14 doing tons of dives if you are still there and want to buddy up. We will be at the palms just north of your hotel.

Stuart

Will be on Maui through the 11th or thereabouts, so hooking up for some dives might work!

Thanks!

I have a membership at the Grand Wailea, and use Lahaina Divers for my Lanai dives and the Carthaginian because of the size of the boats (I get seasick easily).

B and B Scuba is a great operation. They leave out of Kihei boat ramp very early, it's not far at all from GW (maybe 5 minutes - it's on the way in to Kihei and before you get to most of Kihei- I hate to say this, but you can't miss it. If you get to Kamaole Sands beach you went too far). Their website is Maui Scuba Dive Charters, Scuba Lessons, Dive Shop and tell Brad Brian from Phoenix recommended you. Say hi to Blesi for me as well.

Ed Robinson's also goes out of Kihei - Aloha from Maui with Maui Scuba Diving and Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures - Maui Diving Information and Hawaii Scuba resources. and they're a good op as well, but if you're really, really new and want some extra attention I'd go with B and B, personally. OTOH, Ed's diving adventure dives are something I'm going to try in may.

Have a great time - I'll be there in May. If you have any questions PM me. I've been going there every year, pretty much, since 95.

RJP: you'll find it HOT HOT during that time. Chances are, even a 3mm may have you a little warm, especially if you're used to colder climates.

As for recommended ops: you'll find that Hawaiian Rafting Adventures will deal better with your technical inclinations than Lahaina Divers. The folks at HRA are into rebreathers, doubles, that sort of thing, and will likely be able to accommodate whatever desires you have for mixed gases, etc. I've heard of people having trouble getting anything except AL72's from Lahaina Divers (despite them advertising that they are available for an increased price).

You may also consider diving with B&B (if you talk to them ahead of time, they may be able to arrange for some sort of technical charter that finds you on some sites most tourists don't get to see due to their being in challenging locations or deeper than recreational depths). You will also find Northshore Explorers to be up your alley.

Personally, given your level, I'd avoid the resort operations -- their rates are to make up for the fact that they're adult babysitters... most of the divers they see hardly know how to assemble their gear, let alone use it.

Personally, given your level, I'd avoid the resort operations -- their rates are to make up for the fact that they're adult babysitters... most of the divers they see hardly know how to assemble their gear, let alone use it.

I'm pretty laid back on vacation. My wife, 12yr & 6yr old kids are non-divers and I'm lucky to be able to sneak a few dives in here and there while on a family vacation. Figure if I get 10 dives in total on a 14day trip I'm lucky. The key is to not be gone all day, so shore diving at a nice beach they can hang out at and play, or an op that's close to the hotel is important. When I'm gone from before breakfast until after lunch I get plenty of grief, but if I can say "I'm going for a quick dive honey, can I grab you a Pina Colada on the way back?" I'm golden.

:eyebrow:

PS - AL72s no problem. I can get an hour out of one on a typical resort dive profile.

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom