Maui & Kauai in June, 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My fiancee and I are going to Maui and Kauai on our honeymoon this June. I'm trying to make the difficult decision about where to stay on both islands. She likes the beach and I like to swim and snorkel a lot. We also want to see a lot of the Hawai'i type stuff like Waimea Canyon, the mountains, the road to Hana, Napali Coast, etc.

We'll be in each location for a week.

I will probably not be diving (yes, I know, blasphemy), so this is not a consideration.

Any words of wisdom from the locals? What area of the island would you recommend?

One of my favorite towns. Do ya'll like riding horses? Cause they gave us two and "let us go" on a big grassy cattle ranch and we could see snow capped mountains.

Kona..eat at Hug-o's.

Maui David Paul's
Kimo's is great too.

rent bikes? West maui Cycles have Giant's and Cannondales high end carbon fibre bikes for rent, great way to scoot around Lahaina. (parking cars is a problem) Lahaina, check out Lahaina shores, or the Lahaina Inn. (Unless you are a resort/ spa type)

Napali Coast, etc.
good call...I want to do that still. By zodiak or are you hiking?
If you camp, I hear a guy will deliver steaks and wine in your pre-packed cooler to the private beach.

Seriously, I will cry if you don't do ONE dive--the Manta Ray night dive. Just rent some gear, it's not deep.

the road to Hana
that is a ticket for carsick.:fear:

catherine96821:
Kona..eat at Hug-o's.
Seriously, I will cry if you don't do ONE dive--the Manta Ray night dive. Just rent some gear, it's not deep.
FYI, Kona and the manta night dives are on the Big Island, not Maui or Kauai.

oh..oops, so are the horses.

You know, he said, "Waimea" and Hawaii has many places with the same names, on different islands. That gets me every time.

map_maui2.jpg

It's like going to Martha's Vineyard, Soggy. Maui has panache in a very natural way, and it's stunningly beautiful, and not yet overcrowded.

On the West side of Maui everything's developed a lot more than elsewhere; the area caters to newlyweds, and in a great way. Some of the best diving is out of Lahaina. YOU HAVE TO DIVE! West Maui has three of the best resorts in the world for golf and tennis (you don't have to stay at them to use the facilities). Take a helicopter ride, you can share the expense with another couple: WOW! What a view! You easily can take a day ferry over to Molokai (more diving) and Lanai from the West side.

Talk to kidspot about the local scene...

Sure, I actually used a guide to go over to Hana. You get to see the whole island by travel in small van, and you get to stop and look at what you want - pretty good deal for a day's sightseeing: http://www.mauitour.com/

Of course you can rent a car, and still do the island in a day...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom