Maui in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DoubleC3

New
Reaction score
Just a couple of quick questions for anyone...I'll be in Maui in late June for my honeymoon. Only going to get one morning to dive so need the best setup. Staying down in Wailea. Are there any shop located there so I don't have to drive up the coast to Lahaina or farther? And instead of lugging all the equip. from Colorado would it be better to rent for a one day dive trip? And...if I take my own, will I need my westsuit at that time? Seems like a bit of overkill to haul everyhting if I'm not going to concentrate on diving for the week. Let me know what anyone thinks...Thank you!

Chuck

Aloha Chuck!

Personally, if I have the chioce between my own and rental gear, my gear will always win. I know how it works, I know how to read my computer etc.

As for a wet suit. I wear my 3mm all year round. Some 4 dive days, even in the Summer months, can chill you out a bit - suit is a must. Also not olny good against cold, but good protection for arms and legs. In the end what suit you wear is up to you. I have seen people swim with and others without. All depends on what you can take. Our water temps in the Summer can be from the upper 70's to the mid 80's

There are some good shops in Kihei, just north of Wailea. Maui Dreams and B&B., for example.

If you are just going out one day, my suggestion is to book a boat trip and have them provide all the gear. If your new bride isn't going diving with you, I recommend either ProDiver or B&B, since both depart around 6AM and get back around 10:30AM-11AM -- still leaving you lots of time for topside activities that day.

Both boats are used to providing complete sets of gear, including 3mm full wetsuits.

ProDiver is a nice setup, a sixpack boat. B&B has a much larger boat but only takes 12 divers and provides a minimum of 3 dive leaders. They have new rental gear and it's included in the price of the boat trip. With either operation you'll be back at the dock well before 10am.

Kihei is a great option if you have a rental car -- I'm learning that a lot of people that stay in Wailea don't bother with that, though.

First off, are you renting a car? If not, where are you staying?

Excellent information and it has helped immensely! I am looking forward to some wet time at Molokini and some time with my new wife! I might even get her interested in learning to dive, particularly as she sees more and more of the great pictures on all the websites!

Thank you again for the help!

Chuck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom