Maui in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DLR06

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm bringing my family to Maui Jan. 7 - 14. We are staying just south of Lahaina, at Puamana. I've already booked a trip with B&B. I'm looking to do some shore dives with my daughter(19). Are there any good spots close to where I'm staying and if anybody has any feedback on the Puamana resort I'm all ears.

Thanks

:D Thrilled to be diving!!!

Puamana is one of the nicest condos in Lahaina. Lush green grounds. Gated community at the south end of Front Street. A fairly long walk to the main section of town, but reasonable by bicycle. The water in front is well protected by the reef in front, but the reef itself is mostly wave-beaten and broken coral. It's a pleasant walk along the oceanfront on up to the restaurants at 505 Front Street. I don't really think that the area in front of Puamana is worth diving, particularly since until you get outside the reef a couple hundred yards offshore, the water is mostly just waist deep. It is worth exploring with mask and snorkel to confirm that, though.

Olowalu, better known as MileMarker 14 is a nice snorkeling spot a few miles to the south, and is a reasonably good dive.

Just to the north of Lahaina are several popular scuba spots --- Post Office, Canoe Beach, Black Rock, Old Airport, and more. Pacific Dive and Lahaina Divers, both on Dickenson St. in downtown Lahaina rent tanks, as do the many stores of the Maui Dive Shop. The Maui Dive Shop stores all have a free magazine that includes basic info on shore dives throughout the island.

You picked a really good time to come to Maui. The Christmas crowd (including my two daughters, a son-in-law, and 3 grandchildren) will all just be leaving the island about that time. There should be lots of space on the boats.

I recommend that you PM, Kidspot. He's a Lahaina-based SB member that does shore dives with many visitors. I'll be in Kihei during that time, and after hosting visitors for a couple weeks will be itching to go diving. PM me if you want to get together for a dive at one of the S. Maui shore spots, like Ulua and Makena.

Charlie Allen

I, like Charlie, am in Kihei and will be arriving back on-island on Jan 8 by the looks of things (the snow beckons -- gotta go see it for the first week of January! :D )

Feel free to PM me if you're looking for a dive buddy. I'll usually prefer the South Maui spots, but have nothing against driving up to West Maui for the occasional dive. :)

Cheers,

Lots of good diving within a couple miles of Puamana, but like Charlie said - the area directly in front of it is not really a "dive spot" it's a very popular surf beach though.

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom