Maui in April/May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tryagn

New
Reaction score
Taking a family vacation to Maui the last week in April and wanted some recommendations. There will be six in total but only three of us are certified divers. I would like to dive Molokini but wonder if the dive sites are also conducive to snorkeling as the remaining three people would like to snorkel. I plan on using B&B Scuba from the numerous recommendations from this site.

Molokini is conducive to snorkelers, however not usually at the places the dive boats go.

If you want a charter everyone can enjoy, you might consider Trilogy -- they will take you three diving, and the mooring they use is nice for snorkelers, too. It don't come cheap, though... plan on spending more for one dive with them than you would for two with one of the *dive* ops.

B&B takes snorkelers BUT they won't be going to those shallow sucky snorkel spots. So quite often they'll put in at a mooring at Molokini and snorkelers will have to do a little surface swim to get closer to the crater.

Do your dives with B&B and don't go with one of those cattle boats....uck

KrisB:
Molokini is conducive to snorkelers, however not usually at the places the dive boats go.

If you want a charter everyone can enjoy, you might consider Trilogy -- they will take you three diving, and the mooring they use is nice for snorkelers, too. It don't come cheap, though... plan on spending more for one dive with them than you would for two with one of the *dive* ops.

Thumbs up on the Trilogy

I did Molikini two weeks ago - its really not that great. You're better off hitting Turtle Town if doing a boat dive. I took Pride of Maui - it was very good - great food and drinks. If you want to do a great dive and snorkle combo and are willing to do a nice easy shore dive (vs boat) I'd recommend old airport. It's easy to get to, showers, bathrooms and free parking. Depending on where you're staying, Pacific Dive is a great place to get air if you're staying near Lahania. That said, grab the free dive magizine published by Maui Dive Shop, you can get it pretty much anywhere for free. It gives details on excellent snorkling at diving locations. Note however, while it says Olowalo is great for both, it's way to shallow for diving (but it really is an awesome snorkling spot. Park at mile marker 14 and watch out for the thorns in the bushes. Aloha. - Kelly

Dayolddoughnuts:
I did Molikini two weeks ago - its really not that great. You're better off hitting Turtle Town if doing a boat dive. I took Pride of Maui - it was very good - great food and drinks. If you want to do a great dive and snorkle combo and are willing to do a nice easy shore dive (vs boat) I'd recommend old airport. It's easy to get to, showers, bathrooms and free parking. Depending on where you're staying, Pacific Dive is a great place to get air if you're staying near Lahania. That said, grab the free dive magizine published by Maui Dive Shop, you can get it pretty much anywhere for free. It gives details on excellent snorkling at diving locations. Note however, while it says Olowalo is great for both, it's way to shallow for diving (but it really is an awesome snorkling spot. Park at mile marker 14 and watch out for the thorns in the bushes. Aloha. - Kelly
That's strange... most people rave about the 150'+ viz (on a bad day) and the plethora of friendly marine life at Molokini.

I'd sooner dive there than Turtle Town any day... if you want to do TT, sign up for a scooter dive at the Maui Prince or with Maui Dreams, don't waste a boat trip on it.

As for Olowalu, you do need a little more direction on finding the deeper parts, and they are a fair swim, but I find that to be one of my favourite relaxing dives -- the surge is almost non-existent, the entry/exit is easy as pie (a 3 INCH wave is considered large) and the coral is in really good shape compared to many of our sites. Providing there is no south swell, the visibility is usually pretty good as long as you haven't silted it up. :)

Kelly is right about the keawe bushes, though... it is also not a beach park, so there's no facilities.

If you go there, follow the sand channel to deeper water. Once you find the "end" follow the channels in the coral further south (50-100') until you find another sand channel. Continue following it. Before long, you'll find yourself at 20' in the sand, with the coral reaching up to about 10'.

I've seen turtles, white-tip reef sharks, barracuda, and eagle rays there... not to mention the standard reef fishes.

Back
Top Bottom