Maui in 1 week...need help with dive op & sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marci1599

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My husband and I are headed to Maui for the first time in mid June. He is a fairly new diver…I wouldn’t marry him until he was certified and he did his check out dive in Belize the day before our wedding…his first dive was the blue hole with the Amigos del Mar (fantastic dive op suggested on this board). I have been diving for 20+ years but only get to dive once a year or so, on vacation....Belize, Bonaire & Turks (with Fifi’s dive op) are my favorite so far.

There is so much to do and see in Maui that we may only be able to dedicate 1 day to diving…I have been trying to research dive ops and sites to make the most of our dive day. So far we are considering Pro Diver, Mike Severns, or Ed Robinson. Does anyone have other suggestions? Additionally, I have been researching sites…Molokini and Cathederal II look incredible. Are these the best “taste” of Maui diving or is there a hidden gem that we shouldn't miss (we are big fans of going off the beaten path)?

If you were only able to do 1 day of diving where would you go and with which dive op?

Thanks! :)
Marci

1 day is tough..but no question I would choose Molokini because in my opinion it is the best site and will not disappoint. It's leaps and bounds better than the other common sites. If you can spare another day do the back wall as well, it's just absolutely magnificent. I've done the Cathedral 2 and I can tell you seriously that it is not all that impressive... you have to endure a very rough channel crossing to Lanai to do that, I would just skip it and do Molokini instead which is 500% better.

I only reccomend Molokini because the visability is always fantastic. I remember my first dive there and at about 100' down I could still see the waves on the surface. It's a rock bottom with some sand so there is not as much reef and sea life as there is closer to shore.

I also enjoyed going to the "Landing Craft" or "Tank" which is a sunk WWII Aligator amphibious tractor. There aer some really big turtles that hang out there and there is a little coral near by with some really amazing Harliquin shrimp on it.

I highly reccomend Mike Severns, they go to those locations and have very knowledgable naturalists on every trip.

You can also do some shore diving and you will have a really good time. I usually stay on Ka'anapali beach and the diving off the beach is just as good as Lanai except in the winter when the sand and silt gets stirred up.

Some of it depends on where you are going to stay, and what you like to see, and how susceptible you are to seasickness.

In the south end, around Kihei and Wailea, Molokini is the obvious boat dive choice. Visibility is very good, and the diving inside the crater tends to be very easy (on the edges and on the back wall, you can run into quite a bit of current at times). You will see a good variety of reef fish, and quite possibly some white-tipped reef sharks. As far as boats go, we like Mike Severns because it tends to attract more experienced divers, and because there is a strong focus on marine life. But for new divers, I think the B&B boat does a really good job.

I have done Lanai, and actually thought the diving on the pinnacles was quite good, and the Cathedrals were lovely. We did not have an awful crossing, but I don't get seasick, either.

Don't discount shore diving. If the surf isn't up, the entries and exits are generally pretty easy (I'm basing this on the fact that I don't get knocked down doing them, and moving water is not one of my strong points.) And you see a lot of the same species you will pay a lot of money to see off a boat. If you don't feel comfortable shore diving on your own, Shaka Doug here on SB has a very good reputation for guided shore dives.

If your staying in the Kaanapali area check out Lahaina Divers. They also do Molokini but it is a long boat ride. How rough the crossing is to Lanai depends on the weather. I've had good crossings and not so good crossings.

I would definitely dive Molokini if you only have one day of diving. Rarely a poor dive at this site. I always dive with B and B scuba, they leave early so you miss the crowds at Molokini. Get back nice and early so you can enjoy the rest of your day. :D

I'm writing this from Maui, having done 7 dives in the past 5 days.

I've covered Molokini, south Maui, Lanai (First and Second Cathedral, Fish Rock, Wash Rock) and a night dive off Black Rock in west Maui.

I took Mike Severns to Molokini and south Maui, and Extended Horizons to Lanai and Black Rock. I recommend both without reservation as first class dive ops.

I'm going to break with the recommendations above, only based on your limited time. If you have one day of diving, I would skip Molokini and opt for Lanai's first cathedral and a night dive at black rock with Keith at knightdiver007@gmail.com. Both dives gave me priceless memories.

Molokini is a world famous site, but it doesn't offer anything you will not see in Lanai. The first cathedral is truly special, with character and atmosphere.

Black Rock is amazing at night. I could go on for an hour.

The Mike Severns crew left nothing on the table, and I quote them "if Extended Horizons isn't going out that day, we consider Lahaina closed for diving". Keith guides the night dives for Extended Horizons, and he is impressively experienced.

Have a great time on Maui, it's absolutely beautiful!!

I've dove in Maui on several vacations. With a couple of the diveops mentioned above. Although Molokini is consistently great, my best one-day dive trip to date was a dive at First Cathedral followed by a dive at SharkFin rock. The Cathedral dive was interesting in that you get to dive an overhead environment w/o the need for cavern certification (there's a lot of ways out) and Sharkfin was one of the few sites where we saw literally thousands of Moorish Idols, Butterflies and other fish. Also octopus in the wall up near shore.

Another option might be to find someone who'll dive Molokini followed by the Carpathian, there's Turtles living there now afaik. I almost always saw White Tips at Molokini, once in the shallows we found a Scorpionfish also on the same dive. And due to all the snorkel/dive boats, the fish are overly friendly. And often fed even though I think they're not supposed to be.

Ed Robinson's also does a three-tank all day "Advanced" dive trip on Wednesdays?. My buddy did it, they dove the Back Wall of Molokini (live drop, blue water dive), another good site, and then found Mantas in the late afternoon at dusk somewhere just off Maui.

Most trips from Maui will run out to Molokini/Lanai in the morning but like to return before the tradewinds roughen up the crossing in the afternoon. Which is why generally most afternoon diving is nearer to Maui - and often combined with beginner/new cert. dives. So you might ask about who else is on your trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom