Maui hotel questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
2 yrs ago we visited Kona and loved it and hated it - the diving was great, the food was great, but the hassle of staying at a big hotel with no kitchen, dragging around gear, finding parking, etc. was a real downer. We would like to try Maui sometime in 2009, but don't want the same hassles. Is there a place to find smaller hotels/cottage/condos with kitchens? Any recommendations? We don't like fancy, a tv set would be nice but we don't need a pool or restaurant/bar or even a beach. We just want to dive and see a few sights while on Maui.

We have been told that we must dive Lanai a few days and also Molokini a few days ... how bad is traffic in the am getting from hotel? Or do we need to book a hotel up north for a few days, then a few days at a different place down south? We will definitely be renting a car, but other than that, we are open to suggestions.
Our possible travel dates most likely last week of May-early June. It would be 2 or 3 adults, all divers. :D

robin

My wife and I were in Maui for our 25th anniversary in May and stayed at the Mahana, it is 2 buildings with a pool, north of Lahania in Kaanapali.

All the rooms are condos that the people rent out. They have studios to 2 bedroom units. We have stays there twice using a 1 bedroom unit. All have a kitchen and laundry built in. We love it all the room have a lanai that faces the ocean as well as the living room window.

Prices are I guess comparable to what you would expect. $230 and up a night I think it was.

Since it is on the west side of the island you get grerat sunsets. For diving, I went out of Mala Wharf and dove with Extended Horizons and done Lanai. Great time, did the cathederals and shark fin rock. Also snorkeled with the wife out of Kiehi.

for what you are describing it might be a good fit for having a place to come back to. We loved it!

Here is the web site: ResortQuest Mahana at Kaanapali - Discounted Rates

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Check with Ed Robinson's. They have a couple of little cottages that they used to rent out. With the new rental restrictions, I'm not sure what the status is, but here's the phone number if you want to give them a shout. 1-800-635-1273 A lot of people go through vrbo.com to find rentals as well.

As far as traffic is concerned, our timeshare is in Kaanapali and we drive down to Kihei to catch our dive charters. It takes about 40 minutes at 5:30 in the morning, so no big deal really, particularly because it's an awfully pretty drive. We'll be staying down in Kihei for our second week this year, and will definitely be able to report later on the drive TO Lahaina for our Lanai charter that week, but I'd imagine it'll be about the same.

Check out VRBO is Vacation Rentals By Owner. There are many condos on there to rent. We stay in Kihei when we go to Maui every other year, for 3 weeks. We had been staying at the Maui Banyan in a 1BR2BA condo, rented privately, but in 2009 we will be staying at a new place, the Maui Vista. HOpe this helps. Take care, Maggi

I agree with bobmaggi, vrbo.com is your friend, we had a huge 2br/2ba condo in Waileia, well equipped and comfy, $200/night split between 2 parties, a pretty damned inexpensive vacation, more money for diving!

I also agree to try vrbo.com

Other options would be to try hawaiibeachrentals.com and also hawaii4less.com

I have used both of the latter in previous trips to Maui before I moved here and also to Kauai.

It's sad to say this since I am in the hospitality industry but right now is a good time to book. People are hurting because there is not a whole lot of people visiting the islands. Therefore you can probably negotiate an even lower price.

VRBO.COM is your friend.

During hot summer months I recommend looking for something well north of Lahaina and Kaanapali. Napili, Kahana, etc.... The trade winds will be nice and cool up there.

In the winter I recommend the south end of Kihei -- such as the Maui Banyan mentioned by BobMagi. I'm at Kamaole Sands right now, about 2 blocks south of Maui Banyan. There are other, cheaper, condo in the area such as Hale Kamaole. The south Kihei area is close to the boat ramp, is relatively dry, and not as windy as the north end of Kihei.

If your dates are flexible, you probably can get better rates in early May, which is traditionally a couple of dead weeks in between the winter/Easter and the summer seasons.

As far as traffic is concerned, our timeshare is in Kaanapali and we drive down to Kihei to catch our dive charters. It takes about 40 minutes at 5:30 in the morning, so no big deal really, particularly because it's an awfully pretty drive.
Before I bought a condo in Kihei I'd often stay in Lahaina and dive out of Kihei. I'd leave a few minutes early to do some stargazing at the lookout point a couple miles on the Lahaina side of Maalea. Amazingly dark there in between passing cars.

The key to making it a 45 minute run is to stay on the highway to Wailea until Keonekai road, just past MM9. Going the whole length of Kihei on S. Kihei road is slow, even at 5:30 in the morning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom