Maui Diving Vacation & Divemaster Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redball

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just completed 2 weeks of intensive diving in Maui on the west side with Keith Saddler who might be one of the best instructors on Maui. During my 2 week stay I was able to complete my 5th PADI specialty to qualify me as a Master Diver. I choose to do a fish ID Specialty with Keith and he not only taught me to identify the family but also the sub species of each family group. I can honestly say now that I can tell you what kind of fish it is and also what stage of its growth it is in. It was a little extra work but Keith took the time to show me how to use reference books to help identify the fish I was looking at and it has made a world of difference and I feel makes me enjoy my dives even more. Keith specializes in shore dives and has an extensive knowlege base of the reefs up and down the coast. He also pointed out that Extended Horizions in Maui was participating in the Sep 19th World Clean Up day and asked if I wanted to participate which I of course said yes as I think helping to keep our oceans clean is important.

Needless to say I knew coming over to Maui that I was going to be taking the Divemaster course as well and had started my studies several weeks before arriving on the island. It was a good thing as it left me free at night to rest and get ready for the next day. I was very glad about comming to Maui to dive with Keith and be put through the ringer. Keith taught me a lot and offered me an opprotunity to dive and and learn in beuatiful place. I can say now that going pro and taking the PADI Divemaster course was the most challenging diving experience I have had to date and Keiths encouragement throughout the whole period helped keep me going.

Another kudo goes out to Extended Horizons who IMHO may be one of the finest dive boat operations on the island. They are very well organized and professional group of individuals that work extremely well as a team. The other added bonus of the whole deal is they only work with small groups. I personally prefer this as I have seen and heard to many horor stories about the so called cattle call boats that are packing on 20 plus divers. The boat dives offered by Extended are 2 tank dives and I had over 45 minutes of dive time on both dives. I would dive again with them on my next trip to Maui anytime.

I could list out all the fish I seen but the list is endless however I did see and photograph turtles, spotted eagle rays, lionfish, frogfish, butterflies, grouper, 100's of wrasses, nudi's, shrimp, lobsters, crabs, etc, etc... Vis was never less than 40 feet. Water temps where in the mid to high 70's and the weather well let's just say it's Maui weather.

If you are heading off to Maui and looking for an excellent guide or Dive Boat Charter I would highly recommend you contact Keith Saddler at knightdiver007@gmail.com for shoredives and any PADI training courses you may want to do or Extended Horizions www.extendedhorizions.com f0r dive boat charter.

Aloha,

Congrats on your new certification! Maui No Ko Oi!

However, I'm a bit confused....did you complete your Master Scuba Diver cert or your Dive Master cert?

Sounds like he did both.

Guess I didn't realize you could complete a Dive Master certification in 2 weeks. Wow!
You can... if you have the pre-requisites met (almost the 60 dives, and the Rescue Diver course) and have done most of the studying ahead of time.

Oh, and the operation you go with is able to provide the internship dives for you (lately, it seems to be one of the larger companies on the west side that *isn't* providing this part of it, and sending their candidates to other ops) in that timeframe.

Technically, the DM course only requires 12 dives (11 internship, plus one where you conduct the dive) or it can be done as 4 simulated dives plus the one all-encompassing one. Soooo... as long as you have the academics under control, DM can be accomplished relatively quickly.

I completed both the Master Diver (5 Specialties and 50 log Dives) and the Divemaster course. I started my independent study and knowlege reviews for Divemaster in August and was able to work everyday poolside practicing skills, working on physics and dive theory. Once I arrived in Maui I began the high intensity training and internship. We where doing upto 3 dives daily over the course of 2 weeks so they add up fast. As for my Master Diver rating I needed one more specialty to qualify so I ended up doing a Fish Id course as Maui offered an excellent opprotunity for this. It's up to the student and how fast they learn and absorb material and their ability to demostrate skills at an instructor quaility level. I also spent time training for the stamina skills that would need to be completed as well in order to pass the course. I stressed about the swim but passed it with no problem but I was tired after that and took a day to recover.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom