Maui Dive Trip Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you remember the "French instructor's" name? We were on a Lahaina Divers boat to Lanai in December and didn't encounter anyone French. Since we're planning to dive with them to Lanai later this year, I'd love to know which DM to avoid. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure his name is Alan. My wife and I have used Lahaina Divers several times. We dove with Alan 3 straight days on our last trip. He is fairly abrasive and controlling; I didn't like him at all at first. Basically, he just doesn't like inexperienced divers and it takes him a while to determine what your diving is like (I'm not trying to excuse it - just explaining). We're by no means the greatest divers in the world, but we're AOW with over 100 dives and can generally hold our own. By the end of our second day, we were getting along great with him. He felt comfortable that we knew what we were doing and he relaxed some. He is actually quite knowledgeable and a good resource if he warms up to you. He had some great stories about diving with Jacque Cousteau too.

I just started reading this thread to look for some information on other shops and guides in the area. We're going to be staying in Lahaina in July. Does anybody know any good shore diving guides in this area? We were also looking to try another shop if anybody has any suggestions that don't involve a 45 minute drive to Kihei. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure his name is Alan. My wife and I have used Lahaina Divers several times. We dove with Alan 3 straight days on our last trip. He is fairly abrasive and controlling; I didn't like him at all at first. Basically, he just doesn't like inexperienced divers (I'm not trying to excuse it - just explaining). We're by no means the greatest divers in the world, but we're AOW with over 100 dives and can generally hold our own. By the end of our second day, we were getting along great with him. He felt comfortable that we knew what we were doing and he relaxed some. He is actually quite knowledgeable and a good resourse if he warms up to you. He had some great stories about diving with Jacque Cousteau too.

I just started reading this thread to look for some information on other shops and guides in the area. We're going to be staying in Lahaina in July. Does anybody know any good shore diving guides in this area? We were also looking to try another shop if anybody has any suggestions that don't involve a 45 minute drive to Kihei. Thanks!

Yes, that's his name "Alan".

I'm pretty sure his name is Alan. My wife and I have used Lahaina Divers several times. We dove with Alan 3 straight days on our last trip. He is fairly abrasive and controlling; I didn't like him at all at first. Basically, he just doesn't like inexperienced divers (I'm not trying to excuse it - just explaining). We're by no means the greatest divers in the world, but we're AOW with over 100 dives and can generally hold our own. By the end of our second day, we were getting along great with him. He felt comfortable that we knew what we were doing and he relaxed some. He is actually quite knowledgeable and a good resourse if he warms up to you. He had some great stories about diving with Jacque Cousteau too.

Hawaiian Rafting Adventures / Dive Maui just got a new NAIAD RIB.

I know nobody believes me, and it's your loss, but it truly is the smoothest ride to Lanai.

I've ridden the larger fibreglass boats and the smaller aluminium boats... both had people puking their guts out, and the aluminium ones had people holding their backs after the ride back. The RIB had neither of these situations and last week had the roughest-looking seas I've been on to Lanai. The ride was much shorter thanks to cruising speed of ~25 knots.

Not to mention, they standardize on 80's, have larger tanks and Nitrox available.

Back to places to stay: Ed Robinson has a nice cottage for a fair price.

In the Lahaina area check with Pacific Dive, and also ask about their "buddy" book - look up "Pop's" in it and give him a call - he frequently dives with visiting divers and is a load of fun.

If you are willing to drive down to Kihei drop a PM to either Shaka Doug or KrisB here on the board.

Aloha, Tim

I'm pretty sure his name is Alan. My wife and I have used Lahaina Divers several times. We dove with Alan 3 straight days on our last trip. He is fairly abrasive and controlling; I didn't like him at all at first. Basically, he just doesn't like inexperienced divers and it takes him a while to determine what your diving is like (I'm not trying to excuse it - just explaining). We're by no means the greatest divers in the world, but we're AOW with over 100 dives and can generally hold our own. By the end of our second day, we were getting along great with him. He felt comfortable that we knew what we were doing and he relaxed some. He is actually quite knowledgeable and a good resource if he warms up to you. He had some great stories about diving with Jacque Cousteau too.

I dive Maui every year winter (Feb/Mar). My personal favorite is 1st and 2nd Cathedrals & Shark Fin Reef off the island of Lanai, best reached from Lahaina. Molokini is a great dive running out of Maalaea Harbor. Do the back side if possible! Deep dive with high probability of big ray sightings. Go during the whale season (Nov/Apr). You can actually hear the whales talking while diving and the whale cruises are fun if you have never had an opportunity to see these magnificent creatures up close.
Local grinds (food) are great but not heart healthy and you can't beat the portions for the price. Try Aloha Mixed Plate near Lahaina Cannery Mall. Most of the restaurants are pretty pricey. One of my personal favorites is the Hula Grill. I always stay in Kaanapali at the Whaler because it is central to what my wife and I like to do. The per night price for a studio is not that bad but they stomp you 12 bucks a night for the parking Great restaurants and plenty of shopping right next door. However as stated in previous post, the night life is probably better in Kihei. Try VRBO.com for rooms/condos. You can pick east or west maui and search by number of bedrooms/baths. I have also heard of some hostels in Lahaina that were not too bad. Above all enjoy the Aloha spirit and take in all Maui has to offer.

I just spent the last 2 days searching VRBO, lots of smoking deals in Kihei. Found 1BR condos (not studios!) for under $70/night. Lots of hungry owners needing income in these tough times..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom