Maui Dive Shop vs Lahaina Divers vs Extrended Horizons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow that was a good review thanks for the link.
The only way to improve was to add the ops web sites, but that was easy enough to find.

Randy

IMO, Lahaina Divers is specifically geared toward the beginning or occasional diver. They do an excellent job both in and out of the water with newer divers, and the boats have oodles of room to spread out and enjoy the day. I wouldn't recommend them for an experienced diver, but for the beginner I recommend them highly.

I posted some comments/review about Lahaina Divers on my blog: http://scuba9000.blogspot.com.

I think it is also safe to say inexperienced diver = more prone to sea sickness? Given that, look for an operator with a larger boat. If you go to Molokini, you have to cross the open water channel between the islands. It may get a bit rough on the way back. I say take sea sickness meds before any boat dive. Also, other comfort items like if the boat has a bathroom/head that gives you some privacy may be important to you...take that in to consideration as well.

One other thing about LD is they have good equipment.

You will find both positive and negative reviews of these operators. Try to determine if the person giving the review has the same requirements/wants as you do....that makes the reviews more helpful to you.

Just be sure to stay away from Snorkel Bob !!!

Snorkel Bob's isn't a Scuba shop ...

Personally I've been treated VERY well by them on several ocassions, always in regard to a mask I've been quite happy with.

Bob took us and another couple out on their pontoon for an intro dive and the other couple may never go near water again after their experience.

I'm heading to Maui in October with my husband and some non-diving family. We're both experienced divers but aren't "hard core" like some people. On the PADI site, Lahania Divers are the only 5 star/Gold Palm shop. When you talk about inexperienced divers, are you talking about people who just haven't done a lot of dives or are they more of the variety who don't have buoyancy control, crash into you, etc?

Keep in mind that the Gold Palm/5 star rating is based on marketing, etc., not necessarily on the quality of dive operation.

When I refer to Lahaina Divers being good for inexperienced or beginner divers, I'm talking about someone who perhaps only dives a couple of times a year, is newly certified, or even someone who wants to do a Discover Scuba dive. They not only lead the dives, but they will ask you what your psi in your tank is, make sure you're staying with the group, etc. You may find some divers of the variety who crash or have poor buoyancy control as well, but you can find those on just about any charter anywhere. One thing about Lahaina Divers, their boats are almost always packed (22-24 divers) on their afternoon charters since that's when they take their Discover Scuba folks. IMO that isn't a pleasant charter.

If you're staying up in the Lahaina/Kaanapali area, I'd say that it is worth the drive down to Kihei to catch a charter to Molokini and S. Maui sites. My husband and I stay in Kaanapali and get up early to drive to Kihei every morning to dive with Ed Robinsons (our preferred operator). Other recommended operators out of Kihei are B&B and Mike Severns. B&B leaves the earliest so you're back at the boat ramp by about 10:30 I believe. That can be very nice so you have the rest of the day to spend with your non-diving family. B&B is also the least expensive, which is always a bonus with everything being so expensive on Maui.

Whatever you choose, have a great time!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom