Maui dive reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I admit that Molokini isn't my favorite area to dive in Maui, I've rarely been disappointed diving there. What site were you diving that you dropped to 100' and stayed there?

After 80+ dives in the crater, I can't think of one site where staying at 100' would be considered "normal". One of the beauties of Molokini is that dives are typically multi-level profiles, allowing you to go deep if you want (like Shark Condos at 130'), then work your way up the wall and still get a 50-60 minute dive. I tend to not go deeper than about 80' at Molokini, keeping most of my dive between 40-50' where most of the critters are.

Like you, I find the S. Maui dive sites to be more interesting and better than Molokini overall, but at the end of the day, as long as I'm wet, breathing compressed air, and get back on the boat safely, I'm a happy camper!

The promo information on Mike Severn's states that they provide marine biology/ecology dive leaders, marine critter information and short turn around dive charters. It is very clear that they zip out early in the morning and return by 10:00 or 12:00 before the other dive/snorkel cattle boats are around.

If you don't like a little ocean education, don't sign up with a charter that prides it self in being the only boat that has real ecologist/biologists on board.

Most of the Molokini chartersI have been on, with the exception of a back wall dive, do one dive on Molokini and then move to a shallow shore location for the second dive. The last charter I was on was a deep Molokini dive (the garden eels are at 100 fsw) followed by a dive at the Tanks off Makenna (SP?). There was a frog fish and a two really cool Harliquin shrimp at that location.

If you don't like a little ocean education, don't sign up with a charter that prides it self in being the only boat that has real ecologist/biologists on board.

Exactly right! For me, I like a little ocean education, just not a marine biology lecture.....that's why I choose to dive with Ed Robinson's instead. :blinking:

The crew on Ed's boats know a lot about marine creatures, behavior, and habitat and do a nice job of talking about what you may see before the dive. However, most of the discussion usually happens AFTER the dive to focus specifically on what you actually did see. :D

Just got back from Maui this A.M. Did 3 days of boat dives with Lahaina Divers to Molokai, Molokini Backwall and Lanai drift(no drift, just surge) dive. Really didn't see much, came away very disappointed. The Molokai dive was supposed to be to see hammerheads, and on both dives I was put in the second group and only saw one shark from a distance. The first group saw many many hammerheads. I wish they would have let the groups switch, one go first and then on the second dive switch the order. The first group in usually gets to see the critters and then scares them off. All in all Lahaina Divers is a cattle boat operation and I probably won't dive with them again. The only reason I kept diving with them is they came highly recommended and I booked in advance and they have a 48 hour cancellation policy which they adhere to. I tried to cancel after the first day but was told I would be charged. Lahaina Divers is the highest priced and their service leaves a lot to be desired. The DM Eric was not real friendly and didn't put much effort into finding or pointing out interesting things. On my last day at Lanai the DM was in training and didn't find a thing to look at. Just kept looking behind her for the other DM.

Vis at Molokai was about 50, Lanai was around 100 and Molokini Backwall was the best at 150.

I also dove with B and B at the Backwall and it was a much better experience for me. Saw more marine life in one dive than I did in three days with Lahaina Divers. Did a shore dive at 5 Graves. Saw a lot of animals, but the surge was a little tricky to deal with. Rented Nitrox and weights from B&B, Brad (the owner) was very nice and I would recommend them to everyone. Their boat dive was a small group, was fast and comfortable.

This was my first trip to Hawaii and I think I must be spoiled by Cozumel, because I don't think there is any comparison.

All in all any day underwater is better than a day at work, so it was a great trip. :D

Ed Robinsons was full, so Halemano booked us with Mike Severns. My only "beef" is not the company, but the "place".
For such an experienced diver with his knowledge, Seth could have planned the dive profile "around" the rather boring places.
I question diving at Molokini at all.

Not being the only diver now, being to Maui and Cozumel, and having liked Cozumel way better.

Exactly right! For me, I like a little ocean education, just not a marine biology lecture.....that's why I choose to dive with Ed Robinson's instead. :blinking:

The crew on Ed's boats know a lot about marine creatures, behavior, and habitat and do a nice job of talking about what you may see before the dive. However, most of the discussion usually happens AFTER the dive to focus specifically on what you actually did see. :D

Went to Maui in August end and went diving with Maui dive shop. They are awesome for vocational divers like me as they are a valet service for diving. If you dive once a year during vacation, I would totally recommend Maui dive shop as they make it real easy for you. I went on the Molakini reef dive and the Manta Ray dive - awesome experience. Was worried that I won't see any manta's but one came up so gracefully close to the surface at 20 - 30 ft. However we saw a reef shark to make up for the search for manta when we started the dive.

Back
Top Bottom