Maui Dec/Jan 2020?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lisa Hawn

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My husband and I are considering Maui as a dive spot for this upcoming Christmas/New Years holiday (2 weeks). That being said, we enjoy shore diving. We are looking for opinions/recommendations for those that have been there in the winter (Dec/Jan). Are the currents strong or surf rough that time of year?

Winter can always bring rough waters in Hawaii. Boat charters should be able to get you to some good diving most of the time during Dec-Jan. You may also be able to shore dive it just depends on the current conditions.

We live on Big Island and can dive most days but a swell can always come in and change your plans.
Tomorrow, we hope to dive but a large swell looks like it will be too rough for our west facing shore.

31F5545D-30F8-4E3C-A539-7110BB545900.jpeg 98EDFD91-3005-477D-8645-4F1C08E917C2.jpeg DBC36084-8D61-4E61-9EB0-D10A2BE57B60.jpeg Aloha
Great thing about being on a island you can move around to were there are good conditions. For the most part in the winter the north side is not favorable. Conditions have been great here lately. I just take my clients to were it is good. The south side has good conditions normally if there’s a big north swell. Mala on the west side has been fantastic the last few days. Here are a few pics from yesterday at Mala. Enjoy your vacation when you get here .

Mahalo
Scuba Steve
Maui Dive Connection
Mauidiveconnection.com

Like all shore diving, it can be a crap shoot, but as Scuba Steve stated, you can usually find a good option if you’re willing to drive. I’d suggest that some boat diving should be something you seriously consider as you’ll be able to access some excellent sites you can’t get to from shore.

We’re always there during Christmas and New Years and have found that conditions are usually good for shore diving in south Maui.

Back
Top Bottom