Maui Boat Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valwood1,
Looks like everyone that has posted so far has given you good info. Even though I live here I don't use the dive boat operators as I do all my diving from my kayak. Dive charter boats are too expensive for residents to use on a regular basis.
Ed Robinson, Mike Severns and B&B Scuba are at the top of the list.
Dive operators do not usually stay at Molokini for both dives. The customers do have input into location #2. Many times they want to see turtles and that means Nahuna Point (aka Five Caves aka Five Graves). IMHO you are trading a better dive location for turtles. Nahuna Point is a zoo with hundreds of snorkelers on "cattle boats". It is also a shore dive as far as I am concerned.
The real "Turtle Town" is located off a golf course just past the South end of the Maui Prince Hotel. It's shallow and also a zoo with all the cattle boats and kayak tour operators.
Molokini is the best diving in Maui County. Outside the crater is better than inside. There are well over a thousand people in the water inside the crater on any given day as the cattle boats tie off to mooring pins along the inside wall.
Don't be misled into believing you are guaranteed any dive location in advance of the dive day, especially the Back Wall of Molokini. Dive sites are based on the divers experience, weather and where they want to go.
Maui Dive Shop is the ONLY charter boat that does a specific one tank Back Wall dive twice a week for $69.00.I am not recommending them for overall diving.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Gilligan/Jim, I have enjoyed reading the information on your website -- it's to-the-point. very practical and useful, and very interesting. But you're a lot braver than I am to dive out of a kayak. :) Thanks again.

Bill

I agree with what Gilligan said about guarantees. There are none for getting to the back wall. I did get a chance to see some of the nice dive sites around Maui which are inaccessible from shore. Also a gree with Gilligan - too pricey to do all the time. Fun to go out and see the creatures. I'llbe back in November formore fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom