Maui: Aussie noob in Kapalua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hackler

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all - long-time reader first time poster!

Staying in Kapalua first week in September with non-diving (pregnant) wife - so I reckon I can get away for two half-days of diving.

Thinking a trip to Lanai and a trip to Molikini are the must-do visits - I know Lahaina Divers visits both areas - happy to use them for Lanai but they go to Molikini later in the day at 9am (so really busy?) and they have a boat filled with 24 divers.

I like the idea of a small group/boat for Molikini especially. But to do that seems I need to get to Kihei - so am I looking at a 5am departure to get to Kihei in time?? If so - ouch!

Other other options for me or is Kihei the way to go?

Given your desire for a small boat, Kiehi is the only way I am aware of. We had to leave from Kaanapali @ 5am to get to ProDivers for a 6 am departure. I think there is an op that leaves from Maalea harbor, but don't know the size of their boats. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

There is construction in Lahaina town on the main road that can make for some hairy traffic, but not before dawn!

Loved the trip to Lanai with Lahaina divers, and wouldn't hesitate to do Molokini with them, but the crater could be busy by that time of day. Big comfy boat, but lots of divers - however, they break into groups of 7 or so depending on experience.

Guess it breaks down to how much you love your beauty sleep while on vacay!!

Have Fun!

Thanks Tunaman - it may be that I take the crowded option and enjoy my beauty sleep... I'm fine for an early start but being up at 4.30am to get into car at 5am feels a LOT like hard work!

I will be in Lahaina the first week of Sept and planning to use Hawaiian Rafting Adventures boat to go out to Lanai. I plan to go on the Sept 3 dive trip out to Lanai. I have a non-diving wife so this will be my only day to dive! :) I hope you have fun.

Lanai Boat dives

Back
Top Bottom