Maui and the Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder what the truth is - one of the whale museums on Maui used to mention 85% of the humpback population came to Maui ... course I never asked who did the headcount :wink:

Thanks for the new info Halemano.

Aloha, Tim
Hi Tim,

I've heard high statistics like that, too... but I think I've usually heard it specified as 85% of the North Pacific Humpback population.

Hi Tim,

I've heard high statistics like that, too... but I think I've usually heard it specified as 85% of the North Pacific Humpback population.

yes, absolutely KrisB, I would have to say I tend to agree with this...thanks for the clarification...imagine...what would those stats be if those pesky South Pacific Humpbacks actually infiltrated our waters....the nerve! They could throw everything out of whack!

PS Don't mind me, I'm jacked on that juice AGAIN and I just feel like rockin' Scubaboard!! By the way, the Bikini Car Wash for charity at Blackie's Pit Stop in N. Kihei today was GREAT! (pics to follow....)

Every one of you should have been there!!!!

6220_1171043429782_1038890729_527760_1060805_n.jpg

6220_1171043269778_1038890729_527756_3654963_n.jpg

6220_1171043229777_1038890729_527755_7190119_n.jpg

6220_1171043349780_1038890729_527758_7005444_n.jpg

6220_1171043189776_1038890729_527754_1469974_n.jpg

6220_1171043149775_1038890729_527753_7917503_n.jpg

See what you missed!!!!??? :D

Last edited:
yes, absolutely KrisB, I would have to say I tend to agree with this...thanks for the clarification...imagine...what would those stats be if those pesky South Pacific Humpbacks actually infiltrated our waters....the nerve! They could throw everything out of whack!

PS Don't mind me, I'm jacked on that juice AGAIN and feel I just like rockin' Scubaboard!! By the way, the Bikini Car Wash for charity at Blackie's Pit Stop in N. Kihei today was GREAT! (pics to follow....)

Every one of you should have been there!!!!
I know! If those South Pacific Humpbacks came up past the equator, there's no telling what sort of crazy spring-break like activities might take place!

Can you imagine? And what if some Atlantic Humpbacks got the smart idea and decided to swim through the Panama Canal one winter? That would just be CRAZY!

I don't know *exactly* about the Big Island, but the Humpbacks do like Maui County! :D

Due to the shallow depths in the basin formed by Maui, Molokini, Kahoolawe, Lanai and Molokai, it's the popular (read: safe) place for the calving.

During whale season, you often can't motor in a straight line for more than about 5-10 minutes without having to stop and wait for the whales to get out of the way.

So, should I stay on Maui, do some diving, beach days, Road to Hana...go the Big Island and do some diving and volcano...then come back and do the whale watching? It will be around December 12th or 13th by that time. I just want to know which is better. Doing it at the beginning of my trip (December 2nd-7th) or the end of my trip (December 12th or 13th?). Again, I'll be leaving from Maui on the 14th a bit before midnight.

It depends on how your agenda works out. I know Lahaina Divers only does Molokai on Tuesdays, which actually might decide your agenda for you, since this is an amazing dive if you want to see big toothy critters. There are a lot of representatives from Maui here, but I would put in a vote for more time on the Big Island. Maui has the whales, true, and you might get your fill of Maui whales just from the dive boats out to Molokini, Lanai, Molokai, and wherever else you go. I haven't been on a whale watch specifically, but I've seen my fair share of them. However, when I want to play in the water, I go to Kona. The reefs are immaculate and provide lots of entertainment until the next big animal decides to swim by. Plus, you don't need to do boat dives to access them. The shore entries are easy and provide great access to some of the planet's best diving. If you do want to do a boat dive, I'd try the blackwater (pelagic night) dive, its out of this world!

Back
Top Bottom