Maui and Kauai Dive Op Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are likely to find a very high level of DM/Instructors on both Maui and Kauai in my opinion. I know first hand that Eric Stein runs a great trip and takes excellent care of divers with Extended Horizons on Maui. Though it has been a couple years - I have dove numerous times with Mike Severns on Maui as well - and have been nothing other than pleased.

Something to consider...

Many operations welcome questions/requests to dive with a senior DM. Some shops have DM's who excel with new divers/intro's while others excel at taking advanced divers. A little research and you can find the info on your own - but don't feel like you can't ask/interview shops a little. Here on Kauai (as anywhere in I imagine) there is a great range of experience in DM's. Don't be afraid to ask questions to what fits YOUR NEEDS BEST. Make sure to take some time thinking about what you really want out of your experience. Once you have figured that out you should take the time to make some calls or do some research to find out what shops/DM's are most likely to meet your expectations. Hawaii has a great roster of professional divers to meet the interests of every diver.

On our island I always (without hesitation) encourage people to seek out individuals like Linda and Joe at Bubbles Below who I feel share my same passion for the ocean. I also have a tremendous amount of respect for Ryan at Seasports divers.

Many others here are the subject of frequent praise as well. I certainly feel lucky to be here with such a high class of divers.

Anyway, fire away on the board with questions. So many people are willing to help make sure you have a blast on the island you choose.

p.s. I have heard nothing but GREAT things about Shaka Doug over on Maui as well. Kinda hoping he get's his act together and dives with me over here on Kauai - OR EVEN BETTER ...NIIHAU (Best diving in Hawaii hands down by the way!!!!!) ... hmmm, will that start a debate?

Good luck and Great Diving to you...

On Kauai, I strongly suggest you check out "Bubbles Below". No shop, just call them. They operate out of Port Allen, the nearest large harbor to Poipu. Linda and all the Divemasters are great for service, knowledge and commitment to the sealife.

I apologize in advance for the following thread hyjack. This post is a long winded anal retentive attempt to clarify the use of Turtle Town as a snorkel/dive site name off Maui.

Lahaina Divers has a charter schedule that includes Lanai, Molokini, backwall of Molokini, Molokai, and "turtle town".

:no:

The use of Turtle Town as a dive site name in Hawaii is pretty confusing, even for residents. Each Island probably has at least two sites frequently called Turtle Town by somebody. Since Franco's Maps are the most sold activity maps of the Hawaiian Islands, most knowledgeable Maui divers follow Franco's Maui Dive Map usage of Turtle Town as the dive site typically done by boat that could also be called Nahuna Point / 5 Graves / 5 Caves / Makena Landing. Franco did decent research to come up with his site names, and I have verified this site name with a number of gray beard kayak/snorkel/dive captains/instructors/guides (even the gray beards out of Lahaina).

In the past, Lahaina Divers might possibly have tried to use Turtle Town as a West Side dive site name, to skim some extra business from ALL the customers trying to go to the REAL Turtle Town. I only say this because of all the old Lahaina Divers customers who continue to say they went to Turtle Town with Lahaina Divers. It is possible some divers went to the real Turtle Town with Lahaina Divers, as a second dive on the Molokini trip. From what I understand, one of the good things about the long boat ride to Molokini with Lahaina Divers is the fact that usually both dives are at Molokini (unlike most Kihei Molokini charters), so I do not think they go to Turtle Town more than a handful of times per year (when Molokini is not good).

Lahaina Divers web site does talk about Turtle Reef dives. Dive Turtle Reef With Lahaina Divers is the page you end up on when you follow the links for Scuba Charters. Their description of Turtle Reef is not one that any other Maui operator uses. I do not chose to critique or correct them; I believe a small quote is all that's necessary.

Lahaina Divers:
Divers know Turtle Reef for its extensive coral gardens running the entire length of Maui from the upper west side to the southern tip of the island.

So according to the Lahaina Divers web site Turtle Reef is a continuous reef running from Honolua Bay to La Perouse Bay, including Mala Wharf.

:confused:

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. I used the term "turtle town" because I've always understood that to mean just about any near shore site along the entire coast of Maui. Never realized that there's actually a site called that! It seems like the snorkel boats all go to "turtle town", which means they go to their regular near shore snorkel stop after Molokini, none of them being the same.

either way, thanks for the clarification!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom