Maui aiport (OGG) long security lines due to construction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidbaraff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got scary email from Alaska airlines telling me if I'm checking a bag, I should arrive at least *2.5* hours early? And if not, I should arrive 2 hours early? This is supposedly due to construction at the airport.

Can anyone who's been there recently tell me if such an insanely early arrival time is really necessary?

Last there in February 2012 on an Alaska airlines flight, no issues, checked 4 bags for party of 2. 2 hours is standard time for arrival before a flight for all airlines in Maui. I do not know if Alaska has a special issue. Perhaps someone who traveled to Maui more recently will weigh in here.

Flew out 8/4. We were advised to arrive 2 hours early for our flight to Kona with checked bags (curbside). The TSA line was fairly long, but it moved quickly and we were at the gate in plenty of time, had time to stop for lunch at a restaurant. Didn't see any issues relating to construction

Got the same email when i was flying out in June. We got there early like advised, and got thru security very fast, and didnt need to be there 2.5 hours early like suggested.

And to answer my own question: no, that would have been extreme overkill. Security was perhaps 15 minutes, if that (at 1:30 in the afternoon). Best I've ever seen in fact.

And to answer my own question: no, that would have been extreme overkill. Security was perhaps 15 minutes, if that (at 1:30 in the afternoon). Best I've ever seen in fact.
I'm not sure if this means you've already taken your flight.

I was at OGG Kahalui 2 weeks ago and the line for security took us over 45 minutes. We arrived just under 2 hours before and had maybe less than 10 minutes at gate before we started boarding.

I'm a little neurotic about missing a plane having more than one very unpleasant experience. Especially if the flight is around noon there is not enough time to do much in the morning before your flight and most hotels want you checked out by 10 or 11 anyways. My $0.02 is get there nice and early and have a mai tai at the lounge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom