Maui 1st week in November, who to dive with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dmdusn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Going over for a week or so from Oahu. Just curious who runs a good outfit over there. I think we are staying in Kihei. Would like to do a couple of boat dives and some shore dives. Prefer to stay away from the tourist, discover scuba diving boats. Thanks.

Also, who's kamaaina/military friendly?

There are very few dive boats that would be able to make a trip without tourists, so afais every dive boat is a tourist dive boat. Perhaps what you really mean is that you will try not to do second trips that might have Intro Divers.

Last week, I was the Intro Instructor for a second trip. Our training lecture was during the certified divers Carthagenian Wreck dive (max depth ~100'). Then we went to Mala Wharf where my Intro divers got to see the same white tip reef shark, turtles and frog fish that the certified divers got to see, without getting in the way of or stirring up sand for any of the certified divers in a completely separate group with their own guide.

For that fairly advanced wreck dive, there are only two boats to chose and the other one is probably more likely to have Intro divers on the second dive. So anyway, the Carth' is out. :idk:

I mean I want to stay away from the "discover scuba diving" crowd. Where the whole boat has never been diving before. I understand everything is going to be touristy, hell, I'm going to be a tourist. Just seeing who cater to more "advanced" divers.

I'd recommend the Mike Severns boat. Although they do get (as all Maui boats can) some novice divers, they don't take classes out as far as I know, and they do tend to get a more experienced (and heavily photography-oriented) group of divers. I love the emphasis on endemic species, and the fact that they have critter ID books on board. And Pauline was co-author of one of the guides to Hawaiian marine life.

For shore diving, if the surf isn't up, you really can do a lot of it yourself. The sites are generally shallow and currents usually aren't strong. The Maui shore dives book is quite inexpensive, readily available, and very useful. There are several very nice shore dives in the Kihei/Wailea area and south.

We went with ProDiver out of Kiehi and thought they were great! Small fast boat that caters to more advanced/experienced divers and great captain and DM. They leave early so you can do two dives with them in the AM and then have a nice long SI before doing some afternoon shore dives. You can hook up with Shaka Doug for your guided shore diving needs - he's a great guy and a kick to dive with. Even though you can shore dive on your own, it's nice to go out with someone who knows the nooks and crannies, as well as the entry/exit strategies for unfamiliar sites.

Have Fun!

I'd recommend you look at Ed Robinson's, and particularly their Adventure-X and 3-tank charters. X charters are on Sundays and Wednesdays, and 3-tankers are Tuesdays and Fridays. These charters are specifically designed and marketed toward the more advanced diver, and in the many I've done, have never had a beginning diver on the boat.

Going over for a week or so from Oahu. Just curious who runs a good outfit over there. I think we are staying in Kihei. Would like to do a couple of boat dives and some shore dives. Prefer to stay away from the tourist, discover scuba diving boats. Thanks.

Pro diver, Mike Severns, Ed Robinson's are 3 that I've been with that are very good. I've also heard from a buddy that b&b scuba is good. Great shore diving in South Maui and Mala Wharf in Lahaina. Used Maui Dreams in Kehei for tank,weight and flag rental. Great prices Eg: $40 for a ten tank rental card and you can use any left over another time or give them to someone else. We used a friend's tank card that had 8 left on it and not planning Maui for a couple of years. Just had him email them.

We dove with B&B, I'm an advanced diver and my gal is a noob. As such, they were able to accommodate my asks as well as hand hold her. they are a family run outfit and a small boat, so rarely do you have more than 6 on the boat. They're also based in Kehei so you're in good hands.

I'm going to be in Maui for the week following the OP. I'm a shore-diving fanatic in SD (working DM) and am looking to do shore dives while there. Who rents tanks/lead in Kihei? Are there any "Must-do" boat dives other than the Molokini crater?

We rent our tanks and weights from B&B, and I have to say they have gone out of their way for us, including swapping out valves on some tanks for us when we forgot our yoke adapters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom