Mating Gray Whales at Pt. Fermin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We were on our way to dive the African Queen off Long Beach when we spotted a lot of blows and splashes off Pt. Fermin. I thought it might be another feeding frenzy, but as we appraoched we found at least four Gray whales mating. They would spalsh, roll over, dive and then surface near our boat. One even raised its head to look at us. We spent a long time with them, then called the whale watch boats to let them know.
The African Queen looked deserted with most of the nets rolled up and bound. The Ocean Defenders Alliance will be out there tomorrow to remove the nets. We didn't find the lone wolfeel, but I had camera issues so I wouldn't have gotten a shot anyway.
After fueling the boat in Los Angeles Harbor where gas is $1.14 cheaper that the fuel dock in King Harbor, we headed for the Marineland platform. It took me awhile to locate it. My GPS told me I was on the spot but I didn't see it on my fishfinder. After dropping down, I knew why. It's been moved again!
There is a new net covering what we could see of the platform in the five feet of visibility. Dead fish and squid were wrapped in the net, and dozens of live squid were trapped near the top of the net. Merry pulled out her shears and cut an opening in the net. The squid swam out and disappeared.
It appears that the squid boat which lost its net tried to pull it free. It must have lifted a corner of the platform and swung it around. There are huge channels in the sand where the platform used to sit. It is now 79 feet from its last location, according to my GPS.
77462049e2244d7e87c538f6d349c6fe

Dead squid in the net

997708f4a5314d72915cf251394d4407

Squid about to be freed

[youtubehq]9beuxCS4qtk&hd=1[/youtubehq]
Mating whales video

For the last four days I've seen a commercial fishing boat doing circle trolls between Long Point and Abalone. On Thursday they were just outside the 120 reef. I guess their trying to get as much catch in there before the reserves kick in later this year. Did Merry get in any shots at the African Queen?

Hmmm. The platform is a few hundred feet off the 120 Reef. I wonder if he's the guy who moved it. It was moved once before by 600 yards.

Hmmm. The platform is a few hundred feet off the 120 Reef. I wonder if he's the guy who moved it. It was moved once before by 600 yards.

That was just about where he was. The day before that they were closer to Long Point. When I was ending my hike at Ladera Linda they were bringing up the net. Even from that far away I could see that they must have had a heavy catch. There was an immense amount of shimmering and writhing to it. :( I couldn't help but wonder which one of my friends were in there.

Incredible video footage! You and Merry really lucked out. Have you seen mating behavior before?

Squid boats seem to leave a number of nets out there. There is a new net on the Infidel after the efforts of a team of Catalina SCUBA divers and ODA took care of the nets that belonged to the vessel when it sank.

Incredible video footage! You and Merry really lucked out. Have you seen mating behavior before?
I've seen them breach a few times, but that was my first voyeuristic whale watch. :)

Squid boats seem to leave a number of nets out there. There is a new net on the Infidel after the efforts of a team of Catalina SCUBA divers and ODA took care of the nets that belonged to the vessel when it sank.
They removed most of the nets from the platform as well. Yesterday we had the best vis in three weeks there, but it was still only five feet. I hope to get better conditions soon to view the damage. The platform is a steel structure 10 X 40 X 60 feet and it appeared to be listing. The winches on those boats must be very strong.

Back
Top Bottom