TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - June 23-30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Starting off with a non-diving thing . . .

THREE WALK-OFF HOME RUN GAMES??? - I was at the Dodger game this afternoon (Sunday) for the THIRD of three games that ended with a rookie at the plate hitting a home run to end the game with a Dodger victory. (That's why it's called a "walk-off" - because the other team walks off the field since the game is over.) And today it was Will Smith, who had just bee recalled from the minors and who - during his first major-league stint only a few weeks ago - had done exactly the same thing: hitting a walk-off home run to end a game. If this was a Hollywood script you'd call for a re-write because no one would believe it.

On to diving . . .

HOW ABOUT SOME AVALON? - This coming Saturday, June 29, tp be specific. 8:45AM departure from San Pedro, 5:30 departure from Avalon, three dives in the Underwater Park, likely some Giant Sea Bass sightings, mucho fun for all. Call us at 310/652-4990 to get signed up.

THAR BE WHALE SHARKS - Got a note from Jim Silver at Aqua Adventures Eco Diving is Isla Mujeres and they estimate around 100 whale sharks in the area right now, likely with more on the way. As we've mentioned before, this is the largest known congregation of whale sharks in the world, with estimates ranging up to 800 individual whale sharks in the region at the peak. This is one place where we can pretty much guarantee that you will come nose-to-nose with the largest fish in the ocean. Whether you go with us (August 10-17 this year) or do it on your own, this is something that ought to be on your bucket list. if you do it on your own, be sure to hook up with Jim (jim@diveislamujeres.com) as he can fix you up for both diving and whale sharking needs.

FRISKY WHALE SHARKS (X-RATED) - Speaking of Whale Sharks . . . There's an awful lot we don't know about whale sharks. We don't know where they give birth (in all seriousness, a very large mystery) and they've never been seen mating. Until now. No one had ever documented whale shark mating until a few weeks ago. Many times when looking for whale sharks (we used to do this in La Paz), you'll employ a spotter plan to sight them from the air and direct boats to the proper place. Luckily for us, a spotter plane and pilot in Ningaloo Reef in western Australia had a camera on board and started shooting when she spotted what she thought was mating behavior. Although the attempt was unsuccessful, the footage is the first documentation of whale sharks attempting this. If you 'd like to read about this and see more (must be over 18 to view the footage) click here: WHALE SHARKS GETTING FUNKY.

LOOKING AHEAD TO 2020: TRUK LAGOON? - I've had a few inquiries about doing Truk Lagoon again. This could either be on a liveaboard (Truk Odyssey - the only one there now) or land-based (Blue Lagoon). Pros & cons to both. Haven't really settled on timing yet but if this is something that might interest you, let me know so I can start a list of potential travelers.

MORE 2020: PHILIPPINES? - By that same token, I've had some interest in maybe doing the Philippines. Again could be land-based or liveaboard or even a combo of both (for a longer trip). Most likely would want to do the Puerto Galera area - more varied diving and better conditions - but could also be talked into Dumaguete. Nothing concrete at this point and many variables but if you'd be interested in knowing more or doing this type of a trip, let me know. Either e-mail here or call me at 310/652-4990.

HOW ABOUT A GIANT SQUID TO ROUND THINGS OUT? - Perhaps this should be "Elusive Creature Week." Giant Squid are another sea creature we know little about and who have only been filmed ONCE before, back in 2012. Now we can add "Film at 11" #2. This one was seen in the the Gulf of Mexico. There's an article and short video - the animal only appears for a few seconds, is though to be a juvenile, and you don't see the entire body - but it's still not only exciting but if you take time to read the article, the research techniques and gear they were using to attract the animal is very innovative as well. To make things even more exciting, after the animal was sighted and the recordings were checked, lightning struck the research ship. They feared the worst but were quite relieved to discover their video files on the computer were undamaged and the evidence was intact. Take a read and a look here: GIANT SQUID MAKES AN APPEARANCE.

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken

Back
Top Bottom