Material for diveskins -- spandex or polypropylene?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cactus

New
Reaction score
I need some new diveskins to snorkel in and to wear under my wetsuit (in the Caribbean). It appears that most ones out there are either spandex or polypropylene. The polypropylene ones are more expensive and I am trying to figure out if they are really any better. Does anyone have any advice about the material or manufacturer for women's diveskins? Also, are there any companies who make custom diveskins?

Thanks!

Aeroskins makes all kinds of swim or diving stuff out of polypro. Polypropylene has a slight thermal retention property in water and I believe it dries out faster than most materials. I use to were polypro short under my wet suit all the time. Also a polypro linned swim parka (boat coat) will keep you warmer when you or it is wet. I wear an Akona dive skin that actually has a thicker trunk section and a spine pad when I snorkle or dive in really warm tropical water.

Hope this helps.

I need some new diveskins to snorkel in and to wear under my wet suit (in the Caribbean). It appears that most ones out there are either spandex or polypropylene. The polypropylene ones are more expensive and I am trying to figure out if they are really any better. Does anyone have any advice about the material or manufacturer for women's dive skins? Also, are there any companies who make custom dive skins?

Thanks!

There are also .5 mm and 1 mm neoprene dive skins.
Bare and others make them.

I own the Bare 1 mm version and use it as my only wet suit while diving in the Caribbean. I always bring a shorty to wear over it but I have yet to use it diving in places Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao. St Thomas etc.

As other have said, Lycra/Spandex is wet cloth and thermally worthless. If you want sun protection or just want to cover up then they are OK.

Polypro and the thinner neoprenes offer a little thermal protection. the polypro can be layered under a wetsuit and is said to be neutrally buoyant, meaning no extra lead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom