Matahari, or Liberty - Tulamben

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stayed at Paradise many years ago. How are those guys comparing to the others mentioned. I'm returning to Tulamben in September (travelling solo and on a budget) so following this thread keenly.

Tulamban Wreck Divers are great. I have used them twice, excellent guides and accommodation. Not sure why you want a 1:1 dive guide! TWD only have small groups, so you get great guidance around all the sites and see all the critters.

Not sure why you want a 1:1 dive guide!
Paramount when you are photographying and you need all the guide's attention.
You select the number of dives, the schedule and the sites you want without having to ask the other fellow
You are only dependant of your dive capabilities re depth and duration, not the buddy's.
Other than that, lots of other reasons...

I'm not a photographer but love diving in just a buddy pair. You can look at any particular critter for as long or as little as you like, without worrying you are annoying other divers.

Keeping in line with the OP's question.... i'd like to ask how is the food at Matahari? I'm just about to book a package with them, but that will tie me to their restaurant for 6 days. If their food is not great i will just book dives and accommodation separately. TIA

Keeping in line with the OP's question.... i'd like to ask how is the food at Matahari?
Meh.
There is only one good and consistent restaurant in Tulamben : chops and hops.
Villa Alba is OK when you select the correct dishes.
Others range from bland to unedible, depending on the day or mindset of the cook/staff, this includes Matahari.

Luko may seem blunt in his responses but IMHO he is the authority on Indonesian/Phillipines dive ops. I would never hesitate to book somewhere he recommends!

Don't find it blunt at all, but good to hear from someone in the know :) Useful info!. I dived from Paradise many years ago and remember the food experience in Tulamben leave something to be desired. I'll book room only and go from there.

On two trips (more than 4 weeks in total) I have eaten at most of the resorts/restaurants in Tulamben. Most of the food has been very good, only one or two poor meals. Do not restrict yourself to the place you are staying at, try them all. Mati Hari was okay from memory.

We are staying at Toyabali Resort because we liked the resort itself quite a bit but diving with Liberty.

Thanks for the note about Chops & Hops, Luko. My husband loves steak and is always quite sad when we travel to the Caribbean because steak (of decent quality and size) can be difficult and expensive to find on many islands there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom