Matahari, or Liberty - Tulamben

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justwannadivenow3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm contemplating diving and staying at either Matahari, or Liberty for an upcoming dive trip.

I know Liberty is well received on this board for 1:1 dive guide, but it seems the dive prices are significantly cheaper at Mathari. Dive groups are only 1:4 and even if I pay to have a personal dive guide the pricing is still cheaper...

I will be staying alone and do not require great accommodation, just simple and comfortable. It seems both have decent accommodation with Liberty charging more, albeit it is probably a bit nicer.

Also, any opinion on Tulamben Wreck Divers?

Thanks

Liberty DR is much nicer than Matahari in terms of accoms.
How about Puri Madha if the price of the accom is an important criteria? Their location is very good, the closest you can get to the wreck. TWD is on the other side of the road, not on the bayshores.
regarding dive conditions : 1:4 groups for macro critter diving is a LOT, -knowing than most of them hardly reach 2cm size- especially if a photographer is part of it... and btw if you do multiple dives and days, a good part of them will be run outside Tulamben where there are only 5 dive sites (wreck, slope, coral garden, temple & drop off), others like Seraya, Melasti, Sidem, Kubu, etc. will be located in between Batu Ringgit and Batu Belah so expect 325kIDR each + the private guide to go with.

How about Puri Madha if the price of the accom is an important criteria? Their location is very good, the closest you can get to the wreck. TWD is on the other side of the road, not on the bayshores.
regarding dive conditions : 1:4 groups for macro critter diving is a LOT, -knowing than most of them hardly reach 2cm size- especially if a photographer is part of it... and btw if you do multiple dives and days, a good part of them will be run outside Tulamben where there are only 5 dive sites (wreck, slope, coral garden, temple & drop off), others like Seraya, Melasti, Sidem, Kubu, etc. will be located in between Batu Ringgit and Batu Belah so expect 325kIDR each + the private guide to go with.

Thanks Luko.

Yes, will likely dive 12-15 times over 4-5 days so will be diving outside Tulamben as well.

I will check out Puri Madha. Are they similar in dive quality to what Liberty DR offers?

In tulamben I have stayed at Mimpi (3x), matahari, TWD, ocean sun, Joe, paradise, Liberty (3x) and the last three at Puri Madha, very happy with all of them. Mimpi (no longer in operation) and Liberty are the better accommodation among all.
Puri Madha certainly is not luxury accommodation neither the best service, but they have the best location (literally meters away from the wreck), very affordable price in tulamben, very flexible, i always get private guide. All their guides is excellent but try to get Bagong, he is my best guide for super macro in tulamben so far.
They don't have nitrox in house, but you can ask for extra cost.
They have large parking lot, which is veryimportant for me since I always rent a car - typically a mini van. I use this car to dive further away location instead of their car. I can choose any location I wish.
Most if not all dive resorts in tulamben use small open pick up car (not a passenger car) for diving outside tulamben. For my own reason I avoid car without seat belt.

Puri Madha rooms are quite large and spacious, new pool in behind the new restaurant now as well, much less busy than the main pool. Best location for night diving or dawn diving on the wreck or Liberty Slope.. steps from your room

I have just left LDR and cannot praise everything about it highly enough. Having your own guide and setting your own schedule is awesome. The week before I had been diving with three « instabuddies » and one excellent local guide. My buddies were excellent , considerate and courteous divers and all had largish cameras. Despite all the positives having my own guide was way way better. Also LDR has beautiful gardens and three pools, all perfect for relaxing in. The food is also lovely.

Best fishes x

Puri Madha rooms are quite large and spacious, new pool in behind the new restaurant now as well, much less busy than the main pool. Best location for night diving or dawn diving on the wreck or Liberty Slope.. steps from your room

Curious to know why you've chosen Puri Madha the last three times vs LDR? Is it just because of the car situation?

Does Puri Madha provide a 1:1 dive guide for everyone?

I have just left LDR and cannot praise everything about it highly enough. Having your own guide and setting your own schedule is awesome. The week before I had been diving with three « instabuddies » and one excellent local guide. My buddies were excellent , considerate and courteous divers and all had largish cameras. Despite all the positives having my own guide was way way better. Also LDR has beautiful gardens and three pools, all perfect for relaxing in. The food is also lovely.

Best fishes x

Having my own guide is something I am really attracted to. Just trying to figure out if the extra cost (mostly because of the accommodation) is worth the premium.

Curious to know why you've chosen Puri Madha the last three times vs LDR? Is it just because of the car situation?

Mainly Price (much cheaper) and location
Big parking. Lot is another plus.

Does Puri Madha provide a 1:1 dive guide for everyone?

Mainly Price (much cheaper) and location. Parking is an extra benefit.

Typically our routine is early morning dive, 2 dives outside tulamben, topside attraction and or night dive.

I love to finish early morning dive in front of their restoran, immediately order breakfast, and having breakfast while watching another divers enter or exit from the water. Great location for night dive as well.

We always get a private guide for two of us. If my daughter join us, we'll get another dive guide.

If I dive approx 15 times I will likely do a good amount of dives outside Tulamben which will probably make more sense to go with LDR. Matahri is just soooo much cheaper in Tulamben - approx $14 USD is the cheapest diving I've ever seen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom