Master Scuba Diver. What do I need??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2 and Jim are correct. The NAUI MD course is an actual course, probably the toughest one on the books. The purpose is to teach the science of scuba, with instructor-level skill and knowledge. If a NAUI instructor issued an MD card based on a collection of specialties previously issued, that is indeed a serious standards violation.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Can someone explain to me how a question in the SDI-TDI-ERDI forum about an SDI program became focused on the relative differences between the PADI and NAUI programs? The purpose of having an SDI-TDI-ERDI forum is to discuss issues realted to SDI-TDI-and ERDI. All other comments are off topic.

Can someone explain to me how a question in the SDI-TDI-ERDI forum about an SDI program became focused on the relative differences between the PADI and NAUI programs? The purpose of having an SDI-TDI-ERDI forum is to discuss issues realted to SDI-TDI-and ERDI. All other comments are off topic.

Simple:
(1) people mostly don't notice what forum a post is in, they just read down the list of unread posts and stop on what interests them.
(2) the OP question seemed more about MSD, than about SDI, so the first three posts were NOT about SDI.
(3) and it has gone downhill from there, with many posts not having a clue what the standards are for ANY agency, much less SDI

Because many people on SB love to complain about the PADI MSD cert???

Straight from the SDI Standards and Procedures

11.3 Graduation Requirements
Master Scuba Diver Certification procedures for students:
1. Completion of 4 SDI Specialty Courses or equivalent; only 1 course without dives, may be credited
towards the master diver development program, with the exception of nitrox
2. Provide proof of 50 logged dives
3. Completion of the SDI Rescue Diver Course or equivalent
4. After the previous requirements are met and verified by an instructor, the instructor must issue the
appropriate SDI certification by submitting the SDI Diver Registration form to SDI Headquarters or
registering the students online through member’s area of the SDI website.
*Note - Requirements for divers under the age of 18 include the above provided the 4 specialty courses
they have completed, are allowed by their age

So SDI, unlike PADI, allows you to use specialties from other agencies to count toward MSD? Basically as long as you have 50 dives, rescue and 4 specialties from anyone (SDI, PADI, SSI, etc) they will give you the cert?

What I find amazing is that after all the money you spent on the certs, PADI wants another $54 just for the card!:thumbdown:

What I find amazing is that after all the money you spent on the certs, PADI wants another $54 just for the card!:thumbdown:

amazing /a'māziNG/ (adjective) - causing great surprise, wonder, or astonishment.

Are you amazed when you go to a restaurant and "after all the money you spent on appetizers, salad, entrees, and drinks" that the restaurant wants "another $8.95" if you order dessert?

Are you amazed when you go to a clothing store and "after all the money you spent on pants, a shirt, shoes, and a jacket" that the clothing store wants "another $29.95" if you pick up a tie?

Are you amazed when you go to a supermarket and "after all the money you spent on the meat, produce, bread, cereal, and cookies in your cart" that the checkout clerk wants "another $1.99" if you grab a candybar at the register?

PADI is a business; the "selling things" business, specifically. Just as with the restaurant, the clothing store, and the supermarket, if you want to buy things from them, you give them money. If, in addition to those things, you want to buy another thing from them... you give them more money.

It's such a simple construct. The fact that people "find it amazing" actually IS amazing.

So $54 is an appropriate price for a plastic card that you already paid several hundred dollars to earn?

Desserts and ties and even candy bars are all usable products that have far greater value than that bit of plastic that would be most useful as a book mark.

So you don't find it AMAZING that you are charged $54 for a plastic card???
Really???:confused:

Well, although I met all the qualifications for Master Scuba Diver, I was never charged $54 for a Master Scuba Diver plastic card. Why? Because getting one is voluntary, and I didn't request one. It requires the person who pays $54 for it to desire it sufficiently that they see the recognition that the plastic card represents as having at least $54 worth of value to them. Because they are not laying out their money for "the plastic card" but rather for "the recognition."

Now, if what you really mean is "I am amazed that people value Master Scuba Diver recognition sufficiently that they VOLUNTARILY PAY $54 for it" that's a different thing altogether.

Look around your house at all the things you paid more for than the underlying cost of raw materials and production are actually worth. (HINT: that would be EVERYTHING you've ever purchased in your entire life. More so for anything with a logo or brand name on it.)

Amazing, huh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom